Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman lead slingshot
How common is Roman lead slingshot?
I have seen descriptions of some of it as 'having been used,' yet how can one tell if it was used? Just because it is broken? I have a piece that has a good portion missing. Why couldn't this just be a manufacturing defect, reject piece etc.? It is not from the site of a -known- battle although it was found with several other lead slingshot pieces.
Also, is there a website that has a listing of the markings found on lead slingshot, to identify where they are from? This would be useful.
I would really like to know as much about Roman lead slingshot as possible, but most of what I am finding online are sellers on Ebay offering what are probably fakes for sale.
Typically a defective casting would simply be tossed back into the melting pot and reused. It would be difficult at times to know if a shot had actually been used unless it hit something hard enough to flatten or deform it somewhat or leave some other tell tale mark of an impact.
Thomas Fuller

‘FAR I hear the bugle blow
To call me where I would not go,
And the guns begin the song,
“Soldier, fly or stay for long.â€

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Whistling Slingshot Crispianus 2 1,762 10-10-2016, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Lead from Roman ships used in nuclear Physics caiusbeerquitius 6 1,975 01-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Last Post: Emeraldweapon7d
  tied slingshot Goffredo 4 1,371 11-04-2002, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Goffredo