Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macedonian Plunder (from Newsfeeds)
This is awful, archaelogical sites in Macedonia are being plundered at an alarming rate.....Macedonian bronze is now 'trendy' so stolen to sell at inflated prices :evil:
2,500 artifacts were stolen between 1995 and 2003, that is the ones that were known about, how many others can we add to that?
Many of the artifacts stolen could have been of great importance and given us more insight into the ancient world of the Dorians and the Argaed dynasty from where sprung men such as Phillip II and Alexander the Great
I won't go into the modern political arguments that are obviously adding to this problem, except to say 'the ancient heritage of this land is disappearing from under your noses, while you fight over who owned it...'
Grrrrh I am so angry... :evil: :evil:

[quote][i]From IHT: "Watch your step," goes a joke by archaeologists in Macedonia, "or you might crack an ancient pot." It could happen: Tiny Macedonia â€â€
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
With the border guards already over-streached from arug & human trafficers one can't blame them for putting "non-living" contra-banned a bit low in the list. Also the current civil instability north of Greece makes it easy for any type of "bussiness men" including "art dealers".

Perfect world ..... :x

Kind regards