Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing a 6th c. Baldenheim spangenhelm
Quote:I'm currently making a reconstruction of such a helmet, the decoration is the one from the helmet from Stössen Smile

The helmets from the above description are helmets of the Baldenheimtype. You can see a nice replica here: http://www.gotscha.nl/nl-spangenhelm.htm

Looks rich enough for you? Smile The one in the picture was gilded.

Vale,
Jef

I've thought about making a reconstruction of this helm as well. I think the intricate decoration and "bling" factor scares people into thinking this is a complicated piece, but the basic construction is very very simple. And decoration is mostly geometric patterns. Not rocket science. I even emailed the artist who did the replica you showed (incredible piece of work!). He did respond, but his English was somewhat broken and he had difficulty answering my questions.

At any rate, the spangen design would be much simpler for a novice armorer to reproduce than, say, the dished bowls of a ridge helm.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Reconstructing a 6th c. Baldenheim spangenhelm - by Franklin - 04-24-2007, 03:18 PM
spangenhelmet - by garrelt - 05-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Re: spangenhelmet - by Marcus Mummius - 05-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Re: spangenhelmet - by Robert Vermaat - 05-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Re: - by sidney - 04-01-2010, 05:40 AM
Re: Re: - by Medicus matt - 04-07-2010, 11:01 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reconstructing a 6th c. Baldenheim spangenhelm Marcus Mummius 0 887 04-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius