Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing a 6th c. Baldenheim spangenhelm
@Franklin, thanks for the praise, I'll pass it on. I like my helmet best, but that's just personal taste Smile

Everything was sanded and polished by hand (I believe about 10 subsequent stages of coarseness). This took us a while Smile

It's iron actually, not steel. We had an iron plate lying around in the workshop so we used that.

@ Robert: Thanks! Why did we make it? Well we could choose between two helmets. The other thing was nothing near as nice as this helmet type (It was some kind of Gergovian kepple hat with chainmail that was worn under a fur hat). Normally we had to choose to do either one of the kepple hats individually or one baldenheim helmet as a group. But we made 5 baldenheim helmets because we all wanted one:lol:

One of the girls sold of her helmet to a collector, the other four, including me kept ours. There are a lot of memories (good and bad ones) attached to the different components and the helmet is a very nice souvenir.

I have a bit of a helmet fetish so I will not part with mine. I plan to do late Roman anyway in the future, so it might get used for reenactment too at some point.

I graduated as an archaeologist by the way. I'm now studying Conservation and Restauration of archaeological objects (3rd year) and this was an assignment in the first year. We learned a lot of techniques. We did different casting techniques too for example to learn how do recognize different techniques better in original objects.

Vale
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Messages In This Thread
spangenhelmet - by garrelt - 05-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Re: spangenhelmet - by Marcus Mummius - 05-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Re: spangenhelmet - by Robert Vermaat - 05-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Re: Reconstructing a 6th c. Baldenheim spangenhelm - by Marcus Mummius - 10-30-2008, 12:13 AM
Re: - by sidney - 04-01-2010, 05:40 AM
Re: Re: - by Medicus matt - 04-07-2010, 11:01 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reconstructing a 6th c. Baldenheim spangenhelm Marcus Mummius 0 887 04-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius