Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latin Help Requested
Salve!

I have an oral performance coming in my History class, the topic being the Roman legions(see separate thread regarding Roman victories). And I want to start the whole thing with a little Latin. And so I turn to you. Below you will find what I want to say in Latin(I will also say it in Norwegian afterwards). I would appreciate a little pronunciation help too. Many thanks, and vale.

Quote:The topic of this presentation will be the Roman legions and their triumphs and defeats
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
My Latin is far from perfect, but it might be something like...

"Thema est illae ero Romanorum legio quod suum triumphus quod evinco"

Pronounced "Thayma est erro Romanoroom legio kwod soo-oom tree-oomfoos kwod ewinko"
Quote:"Thema est illae ero Romanorum legio quod suum triumphus quod evinco"

The verb should be in the third person and adjectives need to agree with their nouns. A better translation would be:

Thema huius conloquii de legionibus Romanis et triumphis suis et cladibus erit

Litterally, this means:

The theme of this talk will be about the Roman legions and their triumphs and defeats
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
If you're interested in discussing the Roman legions how about starting the presentation with a quote from a famous Latin author regarding the legions. How about: "Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum," which translates to "he who desire peace, prepares for war." I think there is another one that says "the Romans create a desolation and call it peace. It doesn't address the legions specifically, but I think it captures the essence of Roman warfare. Just food for thought, conversational Latin is another topic altogether.... :?
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
Many thanks for all your help! It'll come in handy, I'm sure. Just as an afterthought: how is "salve" and "vale" pronounced? Is it, as I believe, "sahl-vhe" and "vah-leh"(roughly)?

Again, many thanks!
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
Most folks agree that the V was pronounced like a W is pronounced in English. So "Salve" (singular) "Salvete" (plural)--be safe, be well, would be prounounce like
SAHL way, SAHL weh tay.

"Vale" (singular) "Valete" (plural)--be strong, have strength, would be more like
WAH lay, or WAH leh tay.

Use the singular if there is only one listening, the plural if addressing a group.

As I understand it, if you pronounce the vowels like in Spanish or Italian, you'll be pretty close for general use, particularly to an audience that does not speak Latin.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.