Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman artefacts coffee table book
Coudl anyone advise of a book that shows off Roman artefacts, ie swords, helmets, armour & equipment etc. I have plenty with iluustrations but am just dieing to see actual photos. Australia, as I last reserached, the Romans didnt quite reach Big Grin

I have a book from Croatia showing the above that they have found, but it isnt extensive but I would love some more large format type books with fabulous colour pictures of roman finds.

I would assume that those in Europe have better access to such books?

Has anyone got any titles?
Rubicon

"let the die be cast "

(Stefano Rinaldo)
I`m afraid there is no such book Cry ! I would have bought one years ago if so...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
You mean no one has bothered to collect and put together a wonderful reference book on finds of roman helmets, Kalkriese, armour swords, pugios....?
:?

What a shame? I would have though that somewhere would exist such a reference book?

Sad ( (
Rubicon

"let the die be cast "

(Stefano Rinaldo)
Yes, amazingly there is none to my knowledge! I would pay 500 euros for a coffee table book of roman helmets, armour, swords etc...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
To see the need is to hear the call, brother.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Jyrki, you might. Get me 50 others who'll do it too and such a book could be produced. Seriously, coffee table, nice paper, full color prints are expensive to the max. Plus you might have to fight all kinds of museums, collectors etc, who believe they own the copyright to these artifacts.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
This is interesting, Jasper! It would be a gargantuan task but in my opinion worth the price. It would replace the "Römische Helme" (Guttmann collection) and "The Armour of Imperial Rome" by Robinson and some other works. This is only wishful thinking, I`m afraid :wink: ...
How do they make such gigantic books about for example ancient egypt like Konemann`s etc? Are the volumes so big that it is worth while to print them with reasonable prices? Are we in the marginal again?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:How do they make such gigantic books about for example ancient egypt like Konemann`s etc? Are the volumes so big that it is worth while to print them with reasonable prices? Are we in the marginal again?
Probably. Also, the coffeetablebooks I've seen before all seem to have the same pics: cheap pics & text save a lot of money!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Well count me in! I have been looking for years! I see many large format full colour books om Egypt and other cultures but have only found one for roman artefacts which was written in croatian :?

I only have references to Guttmans collection via the net but not book..is there one?

if enough people wanted one surely someone would or could print a limited edition....I'd pay for such a book?

PS: if anyone ha s a spare Robinsons book, I'd buy it too!

Big Grin D D
Rubicon

"let the die be cast "

(Stefano Rinaldo)
If I remember correctly the helmets of the Guttmann collection are presented in the Marcus Junkelmann`s "Römische Helme":
http://www.amazon.de/R%C3%B6mische-Helm ... 807&sr=8-2
It seems to be impossible to get like "The Armour of Imperial Rome" of Robinson :evil: ... It is SOOO frustrating!!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
No, Robinson does turn up Jyrki. Go to Abebooks.com and set an 'wanted' alert for Robinson, Armour. Once one turns up, you'll get an email. They usually turn up at the rate of one every other month or so, but are generally VERY expensive ($300 and up). The trick is to react like lightning when the price is less than $200 (which rarely happens).
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote: I would pay 500 euros for a coffee table book of roman helmets, armour, swords etc...

Hmm.. Since I don't have a coffee table I'd have to buy that first... :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert, you don`t need this book! You can stumble on qilded roman helmets when you are walking around your homeland :evil: !!!!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Besides, as everyone knows, a good coffee table book only needs four legs anyway. :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Can anyone display an example of a few pages of Robinsons book?

I have been looking for ages too and I'm dieing to see what is in it... we just dont have access to such books down here in Australia

If I lived iN europe I think I woudl live in the museums 7 sites 24/7 Big Grin
Rubicon

"let the die be cast "

(Stefano Rinaldo)