Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curious Questions For Those From London
Hello,
I'm curious about some "facts" concerning Londoners. I live on the East Coast/ US and meet many from the UK. Here are two trivial questions I thought you could help me answer:
1) I've heard London has changed in many ways lately and the old habit of "taking time for tea" doesn't exist. Is that true?

2) I know of two good fellas from the UK that live and work here in my area. One is from London and the other is from Manchester and they don't get along! I was told that they have a "other side of the tracks" mentality towards each other. Is that true that they would carry grudge across the Ocean with them? It's not that serious but there is tension there that goes beyond personal likes / dislikes. I look foward to anybodys input-
Thanks,
Robbie Phillips / Paetus
Quote:Hello,
I'm curious about some "facts" concerning Londoners. I live on the East Coast/ US and meet many from the UK. Here are two trivial questions I thought you could help me answer:
1) I've heard London has changed in many ways lately and the old habit of "taking time for tea" doesn't exist. Is that true?

Absolutely no tea breaks in any job I've had for over 20 years.

Quote:2) I know of two good fellas from the UK that live and work here in my area. One is from London and the other is from Manchester and they don't get along! I was told that they have a "other side of the tracks" mentality towards each other. Is that true that they would carry grudge across the Ocean with them? It's not that serious but there is tension there that goes beyond personal likes / dislikes. I look foward to anybodys input-

There is a North-South divide, and always has been, but it sounds like they're being quite childish. I got a provocative comment in my face from a Londoner about me being a scouser (northerner from Liverpool) the other week that could have turned into something more if I hadn't shown him my back (I once had to make a New Years resolution that involved telling anyone who made a comment about me being a scouser to do something I can't repeat here, and surprisingly it worked to a degree). It happens. That said, there are divides within most major cities and regions, so there are South-South divides, North-North divides, even Liverpool-Liverpool divides, etc. Within cities it can be sectarian (Catholic and Protestant, etc), even these days, but only between a minority of idiots.

All that said, I have plenty of stories of amazing generosity to strangers between other parts of the country.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Of course, there may be a simpler explanation which has been mistakenly attributed to a national divide - they just don't like each other. :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Jim,
Thanks for the reply. I wanted a local's view also. It seems it is a mix of both issues. I figured with being so far away from home they would get along better. At least now I understand them better thanks to you.
Thanks,
Robbie Phillips / Paetus