Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sword blade started/FINISHED
Hey Tony,

Very nice blade!! But how do you cut the blade into the right shape? With a grinder or did you forge it? And how did you polish it (second image)?

Quote:These are more photos Big Grin

[Image: Picture012.jpg]

[Image: Picture013.jpg]
(aka Niels)
To start with make a template on card Big Grin
[Image: fullumBM.jpg]
work out how much tang you need, then cut from the card and draw on the steel. Use a cutting disc cut close to the line not on it. When you have cut off the excess the grind down close to the line and finish with a file, I have a special file for this so Ill post a pic Big Grin
It can help if you drill a hole where the tang meets the shoulder of the blade, then useing the cutting disc cut from the sides to the hole on the shoulder then cut down the tang to the hole again cut close to the line. with this being the tang you can just grind down to the line but file the shoulders square for the hand gaurd to sit on.
Or you could use a hacksaw :lol: :lol: which I use to do but it would take best part of the day Sad D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote:Unable to find bone,I used wood instead
Did you mean bone of elephant tusks or "normal" bone :?: If the latter you could ask a buttcher for bone of a pig or horse? treating the matter with washing agent will dissolve all remains of the flesh in some days (or weeks?). hope this doesn't sound too silly :oops:
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
It isn't silly and I think other people have done it. However I didn't dare do it. instead i searched every pet shop I found in front of me for dog chews,but wasn't lucky. Ivory is much much much more expensive. However a RAT member had once (after I'd done the sword) pointed me to a company that sold fake ivory and bone that you could work with and had similar properties and appearence with ivory.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Tony and others
absolutely fantastic work. I have a question about the "plunge" cutting of fullers. Richard mentions some kind of a WOP or Gamma router? I have a woodworking router table, would that do the trick or is this some other kind of router. I'm also guessing that you'd need a special bit for metal, as well?

Also, has anyone used a bench grinder, instead of the angle grinder?
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
I would not recommend a bench grinder I will explain and a router is no good Sad D D
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Giannis sorry should have mentioned in last post will send web sites to order bone from Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Fantastic,thanks much Tony. Though I'd need to find another blade that could be turned into a greek sword :lol:
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
PM sent Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Quote:I would not recommend a bench grinder I will explain and a router is no good Sad D D
I didn't think that the router idea would work, but why not the bench grinder (I know you said you would explain, later). I was thinking that I am absolutely worthless doing freehand grinding, or anything else freehand for that matter. You should have seen when I tried to cut my brother's hair. but with the bench grinder, I could set up a guide, similar to a fence, to get an even grind along the piece of stock. If I try freehand grinding, I might as well just plan on making one of those fantasy Kris style blades, because that's what it will end up looking like.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Awesome swords Tony!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks Gaivs Big Grin
Marcvs if your bench grinder is only 6" diameter what will happen is the blade will end up with a dished profile like some late Medieval swords it would have to be about 4-5 feet diameter to work. The wheel will wear down very fast and as it does the dishing will become even more as the wheel became smaller otherwise it would work.
[Image: Benchground.jpg]
The only other way would be to run the blade lengthways along the blade using someting likeTHIS with a flat table on top with the stone just protruding through, and basically turning it into a surface grinder but it would be a slow job. I hope you can understand Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Quote:the blade will end up with a dished profile
... may be not correct, but would this be really bad :?:

btw: good idea to set up an "ask brennivs"-thread Big Grin
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:The only other way would be to run the blade lengthways along the blade using someting likeTHIS with a flat table on top with the stone just protruding through, and basically turning it into a surface grinder but it would be a slow job. I hope you can understand Big Grin

Actually, running the blades lengthwise down our grinders (with the rests, platens and such removed) is exactly what we do at the shop. If you check out this youtube video you can see at the 1:47 mark how we grind flat surfaces. In the background, I think you can see one of our guys grinding out a fuller on a two-inch diameter wheel, running the blade sideways. Smile
Q. Epidicus Andronicus
-
A.k.a. Clayton Woods
Albion Blade Shop
[url:15qvwv6k]http://www.albion-swords.com[/url]
Are yes Clayton but if Marcvs had these type of machines like your workshop has then no problem, but to try and surface grind flat faces using only a 6" bench grinder thats what I think he has, otherwise if Marcvs can invest in this machinery then he would be laughing Big Grin D cry: Thanks for your imput and your link great stuff Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Grinding a Sword Blade How To? brennivs - tony drake 74 27,798 01-26-2018, 06:21 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Ring Pommel Sword and Scabbard FINISHED brennivs - tony drake 57 14,123 08-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake