Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegan Parants Starve Infant
It's one thing to uphold principles, quite another to be stupid...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Vegan parents guilty in infant murder

6-week-old died of starvation after being fed diet of soy milk, apple juice

By BETH WARREN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

05/02/07

The parents of a baby that died of starvation after being fed a vegan diet have been found guilty of malice murder, felony murder and first degree cruelty to children.

Jade Sanders, 27, and Lamont Thomas, 31, will get an automatic life sentence for the death of their 6-week-old infant, Crown. After being fed a diet largely consisting of soy milk and apple juice, he weighed only 3 1/2 pounds when he died.

The Fulton County jury deliberated the case for about seven hours.

Prosecutors said it was a chilling case of murder by starvation, a painful and prolonged death. Attorneys representing Sanders and Thomas told jurors the first-time parents did the best they could while adhering to their vegan lifestyle. Vegans typically live free of animal products.

"They're not vegans, they're baby killers," Fulton prosecutor Mike Carlson told the jury Tuesday during his closing arguments.

The couple's attorneys said they didn't realize their baby, born at home, was in danger until minutes before he died.

Resource: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution ~
http://www.ajc.com

Murder verdict for vegan parents

By BETH WARREN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

05/03/07

A vegan couple committed murder when they didn't make sure their newborn received proper nutrition, a Fulton jury decided Wednesday.

The courtroom was so quiet after the judge read the verdict — the first of its kind in Georgia — that the clank of the handcuffs being fastened around the parents' wrists echoed through the room.

The father, Lamont Thomas, 31, then called out "We're going to jail for no reason" as his girlfriend, Jade Sanders, 27, stared ahead, visibly stunned.

Thomas told visiting Senior Superior Court Judge L.A. McConnell that he and Sanders were proud of their first child, naming him Crown. "We didn't starve our son for weeks and weeks," the dad said before deputies led him out of the courtroom.

The verdicts mean the couple will receive automatic life sentences. The judge might tack on more prison time at a sentencing hearing next week.

After hearing the verdicts, Sanders' and Thomas' mothers sat silently, wiping at tears. They remembered a grandson who smiled and laughed and didn't cry any more than any other child, said Thomas' attorney, Brandon Lewis.

Lewis turned to the defendants' moms and vowed to appeal: "I want you to remember, it's far from being over."

The infant was born in the bathtub of a Buckhead apartment but never taken to a doctor while alive. He was dead when his parents took him to Piedmont Hospital, across the street from their apartment, April 25, 2004. At six weeks old he weighed just 3 1/2 pounds and was so emaciated, doctors could count his bones through his skin.

Fulton prosecutor Chuck Boring said the verdict isn't a condemnation of veganism, a strict form of vegetarianism that doesn't allow the consumption or use of animal products. Instead, jurors believed prosecutors' assertions that the couple intentionally neglected and underfed the child and then tried to use the lifestyle as a shield.

In similar cases, a New York jury convicted a vegan couple on murder charges in the death of their child, but a Florida jury was more lenient, acquitting vegan parents of murder and instead convicting them on reduced charges of involuntary manslaughter, an unintentional death. In that case, the couple had successfully raised two children as vegans, but their third child died.

"The vegan diet is fine," Boring said after the verdict in the Georgia case. "These parents lied about what they fed him. He just was not fed enough."

The mother initially told police she fed her baby organic apple juice and soy milk. But the soy milk containers in her apartment clearly state that soy milk is not to be used as a substitute for baby formula, her lawyer admitted. At trial, the mom said she also fed her son breast milk and soy milk formula.

Outside the courtroom, Lewis, the defense attorney, said he believes the parents unintentionally starved their child by feeding him apple juice that may have acted as a diuretic and blocked the absorption of nutrients from the soy milk, soy formula and breast milk. They never took Crown to a doctor because they feared hospitals were infested with germs, he said.

At trial, government witness and vegan expert Amy Lanou told jurors the child's health may have been compromised by his diet, but he should still have been alive if fed enough food.

Lanou, a nutritionist who authored the book "Healthy Eating for Life for Children," on raising children as vegans, said all parents should know that babies need adequate amounts of breast milk or formula.

Prosecutors Boring and Mike Carlson convinced jurors that the neglect was intentional.

Boring said outside the courtroom that he'd always be haunted by the case. "I'll never understand 'Why?' " he said.

Resource: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution ~
http://www.ajc.com
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
Mind boggling! Confusedhock: Sad
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Some people...... Confusedhock:

Could knock me over with a feather right now.
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
Hey, I have a great idea! Let's erase 2 million years of genetic evolution and start breathing hydrogen instead of oxygen!

Personal beliefs should never supercede common sense. And people like that shouldn't be allowed to have kids.

What sucks is that now those two morons are going to cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars to remain in jail.

I hope they get fed nothing but beef chilli in jail and some "sausage". :twisted:

Legion: TBD
My thoughts exactly Matt.
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
Quote:some "sausage"
Frikadel? :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:
Quote:some "sausage"
Frikadel? :wink:
Is thát what they call it in Dutch jails? :twisted:
I can see some resemblence....
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
As requested mate :wink:
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:...and some wonder why I believe in the death penalty!
Can we not go there, please. There's gonna be a massive row, and it's been nice and quiet for a couple of weeks.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
There has been some discussion about this on MySpace...
it is not 100% certain that they intentionally starved their son and this was not the result of ignorance, sheer stupidity, the mother suffering from post natal depression or problems with the child's health. Surely if there had been any concerns, the grandparents would have said or done something?
There have been other cases where the parents have not gone to jail, or if they have, certainly not for life. One couple had four children all of whom weighed 97% less than they should have done, and a child of 6 months who only weighed 7 pounds. They were charged with child neglect
STARVED
Surely they should have known better, being experienced parents..and people were sympathetic to them.
It seems to me that this couple have been made scapegoats and received a heavy sentance that outweighs the crime. If they had shot the baby because it cried all the time, they probably would have got off on diminished responsibility or something. They have inadvertently caused the death of their baby, yet nobody considers how they feel about that..especially the mother.
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-