Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the Glory of Rome: A History of Warriors and Warfare
Anyone read this? Any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1853 ... pe_snp_337

Quote:Synopsis
This work presents a thrilling survey of the Roman warrior. It explores the contradiction of the 'cultured' warrior. It is written by a noted classicist. Ancient Rome was uniquely bellicose. Her legions marched out to war every year and the fury of legionaries in combat was terrible. Officers and common soldiers gloried in single combat, taking heads and despoiling their enemies. Long before the Vikings emerged, Roman warriors were discarding their armour to fight berserk and bare-chested in battle, going so far as to maul opponents with their bare teeth and sometimes even drinking their blood. Generals would occasionally perform the act of devotio - sacrificing themselves to the gods of the Underworld - to secure victory. Yet these same warriors read philosophy, wrote history and recited poetry. Singing, too, was popular - in battle as much as elsewhere. At Pharsalus in 48 BC, where Julius Caesar routed his rival Pompey the Great, his more psychotic legionaries sang gleefully as they killed. Regimental anthems were popular, but at Pharsalus lyrical pronouncements on the parentage of your opponent, virtue of his mother, and reputation of his city were most prominent. "For the Glory of Rome" introduces the heroic, sometimes contradictory, and utterly ruthless men who carved out the Roman Empire. It features men like Siccius Dentatus, victor of eight single combats; Decius Mus, the consul who charged into the midst of the enemy at Sentinum to 'devote' himself to the gods; Claudius Marcellus, the last Roman to dedicate the spoils of honour to Jupiter; and Ennius, centurion and epic poet.
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
I received a copy yesterday, brand spanking new. It certainly looks good and since it's by our own Ross Cowan, it has a reputation to live up to. :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I've read an earlier draft so can't comment on the final published version, but it certainly made me proud to have chosen Romans for re-enactment. :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks Jasper and Jim. Big Grin

The blurb on Amazon and other sites was cobbled together by the publisher ages ago. Here's the final contents:

INTRODUCTION

I. THE PYRRHIC WAR
The Eagle of Epirus
Tarentum
Tarentum Versus Rome
Enter the Eagle
The Battle of Heraclea
After the Battle
The Eagle Flies North
Negotiations
The Battle of Ausculum
Ceasefire
The Sicilian Adventure
Malventum: The Last Battle
The End of the Eagle

II. DIVINE INTERVENTION
The Battle of Sentinum
Devotio and Vows
The Linen Legion
Thunder and Lightning

III. SINGLE COMBAT
The First Roman Duellists
The Roman Achilles
Cornelius Cossus and the Spolia Opima
Manlius Torquatus
Valerius Corvus
The Younger Torquatus
Marcellus and the Spoils of Honour
Single Combat in the War with Hannibal
Single Combat in the Second Century BC
Single Combat in the First Century BC
Marcus Licinius Crassus and the Spolia Opima

IV. WARLORDS AND THEIR WARRIORS
Caesar’s Soldiers
Caesar’s Centurions
Octavian, Antony and their Praetorians
The Lost Legion

V. WARRIORS AND POETS
Sore Losers
Scalping and Drinking Blood
The Roman Way
Insults and Songs
The Centurion Poets

EPILOGUE

As I say in the introduction, the book is about the fighting men of Rome and her allies, and their valiant enemies, so also expect lengthy treatment of Epirotes, Samnites and Lucanians and other Sabellians, and Gauls. As well as the themes indicated above, there is discussion of the importance of honour and reputations; the practice of taking of heads in battle; military punishments; dona militaria; problematical units such as the legio Campana; sword fighting techniques; helmet crests; soldiers' humour; cognomina; unit disbandment; war elephants....

Oxbow describes it as "unashamedly popular and lots of fun". Who am I to disagree?!
Just made my order from amazon.co.uk! Can I read it also in the loo or will it spoil my "virtus" :wink: ?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:Just made my order from amazon.co.uk! Can I read it also in the loo or will it spoil my "virtus" :wink: ?

As a Roman you can read it aloud to others sitting closely :wink:
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Whether you choose to read the book in the loo, the library or your lounge, I'm keen to know what you all think of it.

Cheers,

R
Have it on order -- loo-king forward to it! 8)
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:Whether you choose to read the book in the loo, the library or your lounge, I'm keen to know what you all think of it.

Cheers,

R

have you been nice to the Gauls ?
Conal Moran

Yoda
Quote:have you been nice to the Gauls ?

I've been a lot nicer to them than the Romans were! Ditto for the splendid Samnites.

R
Looks interesting -- just added it to my Amazon list.

In fact, I will soon be finished with my current book (about the war in Iraq) and will need something new for the daily train ride -- this book would be perfect. After a couple of weeks "in the modern world" it will be good to return to the sanity of Ancient Rome.

Thanks for the Alert.

Big Grin

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:
Conal:152t7tdp Wrote:have you been nice to the Gauls ?

I've been a lot nicer to them than the Romans were! Ditto for the splendid Samnites.

R

I'll buy it then Big Grin
Conal Moran

Yoda
Quote:I'll buy it then Big Grin

Big Grin D

The sections about the battle of Sentinum (chp 2) and the many single combats that pitted Gallic champions against Romans (chp 3), should be of particular interest to you.

Cheers,

R
Quote:
Conal:tohjbel1 Wrote:I'll buy it then Big Grin

Big Grin D

The sections about the battle of Sentinum (chp 2) and the many single combats that pitted Gallic champions against Romans (chp 3), should be of particular interest to you.

Cheers,

R

Mmmmh... Sentinium - more luck than judgement ?

Single combats - damn crows !!!
Conal Moran

Yoda
Ross,

The title is still listed as a "pre-order" on the U.S. Amazon website. I'll be ordering a copy though.

Best of luck with the volume's critical and lay reception.

Rob
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Syvanne\'s \"Military History of Late Rome 284-361\" Nathan Ross 22 12,752 11-18-2015, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Virilis
  Routledge Warfare & History Series John W Davison 0 1,028 04-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Last Post: John W Davison
  Book on History Of Rome Narukami 5 2,415 12-28-2012, 03:49 AM
Last Post: ANTONIVS MAGNVS