Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is Why Alaskans Carry Guns
Quote:REAL men use Pilums! (or ballista) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Real Romans use pila or ballistae (or hastae or plumbata) Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dopLg4Sq ... ed&search=

Bears don't always come off best Big Grin
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Or a pugio....... 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Siberian hunters worth their salt take a bear with the russian equivalent of the bowie knife.

(Crocodile Dundee accent) "That's not a knife- THIS is a kinfe."

[Image: Wheelan_228x371.jpg]
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:A few month ago, we have had a bear problem (called a "problem-bear" in the german press) in southern bavaria.

He has killed a big number of sheeps, but he had disappeared before the hunters arrived! Over weeks he has out-maneuvred his chasers (in the last days some swedish specs with dogs)! First time they preferred to get him alive, but they killed him finally!

He was for a long time ninja-like!!! 8)

They are intelligent and are skilled in the use of human tech:

[Image: bear.jpg]

I didn't even know there was a camera in there!
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
PATER FAMILIAS DOMVS VRSVM
-Tom
Update on 'bear talk'- this article made me laugh :lol:

Bear confronts Whitesnake singer

Rock star David Coverdale has been confronted by a black bear at his home in Lake Tahoe, Nevada.
Writing on his website, the Whitesnake singer said the bear broke into a guest bedroom on Wednesday morning.

Coverdale, 55, recounted how he ran at the animal with an air horn canister and scared him into the garden.

The British singer, formerly of Deep Purple, said bear attacks had become a "daily worry" and that authorities had warned he may have to move out.

His first face-to-face encounter with a bear came in July, as he was "rinsing a cup or two at the kitchen sink".

"I don't mind telling you I almost succumbed to an involuntary bowel movement," Coverdale told fans online......

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6931439.stm
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
I'm spent part of my birthday at the range, but the range master wasn't there so I couldn't shoot my rem 700 30-06, I had to satsify myself with 1/2 inch hole with my .22lr on the indoor range. That sounds like its a good group till I tell you its a bolt action .22lr and the indoor range is only 25 yards. Nothing to do with a bear but hey, it's off topic.
Then went to DC and walked for awhile and then went to Medieval Times for dinner.
Marcus Marius Agrippa
Will Dial
"Stop quoting laws, we carry weapons." - Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus
Now, this is a bear stopping weapon:
[url:2felyrpi]http://www.magnumresearch.com/Desert_Eagle.asp[/url]

Just as in Snatch..

Darn loud too, if you're ever next to one on a range.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I hear you, Richard. Recoil of a .44 Desert Eagle is ferocious. I fired one at an indoor range a few times, and the thing came up near my head. I was wearing both earplugs and earmuffs, and it still sounded like a thunderclap. After 10 shots, I'd had enough, and went back to my 'lesser' .45 ACP Smile I really don't want to know what shooting one in .50 AE is like.

I'm no mountain man, but I've run into black bears a couple of times in the wild, and since I kept right on walking , they didn't attack me. Nevertheless, if they did I would have felt better with a heavier rifle over a pistol. And most seasoned bear hunters and woodsmen agree, you need a bigger gun than a pistol can provide.

Don't get me wrong, I love animals like wolves, bears and big felines. I just love them better at a safe distance, instead of gulping me down with Worcestshire sauce Big Grin
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Quote:I don't care what you kill it with, moose burgers are pretty tasty, I've never had bear though.
I have, it's greasy and tastes like summer sausage. Not that impressed. Rattlesnake was more impressive in its flavour (and the wierd bones).
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Bear rescue pics BBCNEWS

Confusedhock:
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Having an FFL (03) is a great thing...
New rilfe, a Mossin Nagant 91/30 hex reciever made in 1932 and carried in WW2. Thing looks like a musket with the big off center bayonet. Wood is good shape and bore is in great shape, shoots stright. Weighs 9 pounds and is just over 48 inches long oh and 66 inchs with boynet on. No more recoil than a .223. Paid less than $100, shoots a 7.62x54R. Would make an alright bear rifle. Historical arms are great.
Marcus Marius Agrippa
Will Dial
"Stop quoting laws, we carry weapons." - Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:24bplm76 Wrote:What? Confusedhock: Grizzleys with Nuclear Arms? Big Grin

Dont you know Robert its in our Constitution. 2nd Amendment, The Right to Keep and Arm Bears.
Damn, you beat me to it! As soon as I saw this thread, that is all that I could think of. :lol: :lol:

BTW, there is a rather humorous s-f book by Gordon Dickson entitled The Right To Arm Bears available used for as little as $0.67 through Amazon's used dealer network. It's no great example of Dickson's work but it is humorous and well worth that price.
http://www.amazon.com/Right-Arm-Bears-G ... 56&sr=1-41