Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you do with all of this stuff!?
To the guys out there that collect all roman gear. You, know the ones that buy every new helmet that comes out, all gladii, etc....

What do you do with all of it? Don't get me wrong, I have a have a few items that I bought that I not use but to no extent as some other people.

Just wondering what you guys do with all this stuff.
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
Hey, I'm not going to complain about them. They are definately the guys to go to when starting out. Still, I'm curious myself what there answer will be. Personally, I'm more from the school where I'm willing to spend a lot of money on a few items that I love rather than buy a lot of different items. I tend to spend a lot more on weapons and a few armour items and skimp in other areas like clothing.
Derek D. Estabrook
I guess you could buy all that stuff and outfit the less well equipped in your legion. To bad XXth is up in maryland, maybe they'd share with me.
Marcus Marius Agrippa
Will Dial
"Stop quoting laws, we carry weapons." - Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus
Ok...

I can't turn anything down... I have segmentatas still in the bubble wrap. For real. My wife thinks the RAT Deepeeka Special offers are conspiratorial lies.

I think it is because when I was young my parents would not let me have toys the other kids had, telling me "earn the money" which would teach me responsibility. They did this knowing full well child labor laws would prevent me from getting anything resembling a job. Now I can squander all I want and give drunken sailors a rehabilitated name.

Actually, I do not have any children, or family that wants to claim relationship. I intend to donate all of my collection, authentic and otherwise, which includes books, collect able paintings, etc. going back to the 16th century, to some legitimate museum. I do try to take pains to make complete panoplies with documentation.

Gaius Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard)
I use my collection for displays, both for schools and for non-school educational displays. When going to reenactments, I have extra equipment available to loan out to new recruits. I have two vehicles loaded up to take a good deal of my non-book collection to another "Festival" this weekend.... tables, chaires, helmet stands, all the other stuff as well. I have not decided if I want to bring along the scorpion.... maybe, if the rain stops. Smile
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
We hang it on our walls.

I keep the small stuff in a big wooden chest, some clothing hangs on spear shafts in the same room, I have 4 scuta and a hamata in the computer room, and the squamata is hidden in the hallway. Only the long hasta shafts stay in the garage, they're too big to go into the house.

We occasionally lend surplus to other groups, and if we ever get new recruits we're able to equip them to a reasonable level until they get their own gear.

But basically, we never sell the old stuff while buying the new stuff..
I think I only have one spatha, of the other stuff I have two or more...

Exhibition! Great idea!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I trip over it and swear!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
My kit is soooo heavy, that when I take off it I have to call them...

[Image: romanequipmentcom.jpg]

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
My new Imp. it. D is just for show in my bedroom, because it doesn't fit to my head. I'm planning to get a new Deepeeka for normal use, and my old Deepeeka are for the kids that wants to wear a helmet during events and schoolvisits. (and Universityclasses).
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:I trip over it and swear!
That's why I hang it on the walls... :twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Primvs Pavlvs:2x04lgmr Wrote:I trip over it and swear!
That's why I hang it on the walls... :twisted:

Robert you sound like my wife!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
good thing he dont look like it Wink you might mail order him too!
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]