Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eagle of the Ninth to be filmed
Obviously they are not seeing things as they should be....the name of the director should have been a dead give away!! :lol:

When did they do a movie on Boudicca with Mel G? :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:When did they do a movie on Boudicca with Mel G? :?

2010. Did you miss it?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:1suxyrh4 Wrote:When did they do a movie on Boudicca with Mel G? :?

2010. Did you miss it?

Obviously..... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:WHAT young tribal hero? I thought Marcus was the hero of the book, have they promoted Esca to that position?

Like I said, it seems that the emphasis of the film has been changed from "Young man ventures into land of the barbarians to redeem fathers honour" to "Young man ventures into land of barbarians on a voyage of discovery and learns that being 'differently-cultured" doesn't make you less of a person".

Meh. Modern toss.

:roll:
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
I found this, but its a year old: http://antoninuspius.blogspot.com
** Vincula/Lucy **
Quote:OK, for the history of the Ninth Legion and its demise see pages 220-232 of For the Glory of Rome.

E.B. Birley, ‘The Fate of the Ninth Legion’ in R. M. Butler (ed.) Soldier and Civilian in Roman Yorkshire. Leicester: 1971, 71-80. Reprinted in Birley's , The Roman Army. Papers 1929-1986. Mavors vol. 4. Amsterdam: 1988, 316-325

L. Keppie, ‘Legio VIIII in Britain: The Beginning and the End’ in R. Brewer (ed.), Roman Legions and their Fortresses. Cardiff & London: 2000, 83-100. Reprinted in L. Keppie, Legions and Veterans: Roman Army Papers 1971-2000. Mavors vol. 12. Stuttgart: 2000, 201-218.

Or my BA disseration, which has the added bonus of having a couple of Asterix legionaries painted on the cover. :wink:
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Hi,

I just found this topic and would like to add my few cents...

Some of the shootings for this movie were filmed in Hungary.

They built a roman fortress in a valley near Budapest (Hungary's capital). A lot of people were invited to the casting from various Hungarian reenactment groups and 4 guys from our group was chosen for the shooting as well. 3 of them played celts and 1 of them played a roman legionaire. Before the shooting, the "romans" got a week-long intensive training to make them fit and to make them learn how to move in formations. For most of the time, they used some 60 romans and 70 celts but for bigger scenes they doubled the number of people. They filmed a battle scene between celts and romans around the fortress (surprise, surprise!!! Big Grin ) which took the team approximately two weeks of shooting time. Now they are finished with this scene, and most of the staff moved on to Scotland to continue working there.

I haven't been able to take part but I heard a lot of stories from my pals and, well... ergh... I see some pictures which were taken during the filming, which was of course "not-encouraged" and thus I can't share them but I think I can write down some things which may be of some interest... :wink:

The roman fort:
For me it looks very convincing. Very similar to the reconstruction built in Lunt - 4-5 meters high earth rampart with wooden palisade on top of it with a vallum around outside the walls. The gates are very similar to that of Lunt (only smaller in size) as well. There are some buildings inside the walls (blacksmith, barrack, praetoria) they even built a big donkey-operated grain mill. The buildings look great, they have a lot of details and there are stone-paved streets between them surrounded with open drainage ditches.

roman legionaires kit:
dark purple rectangular scutum with yellow pattern - very similar to the ESG scutum patterns
proper looking pilum with weight under joint
firs century belt with belt plates (figural and concentric circle motiffs) and cingulum
first century pugio in metal scabbard (attached via frogs to the belt)
first century caliga
first century gladius with balteus
brown feminalia
dark red short sleeved tunic
helmet is made of aluminium (looks like steel) its form resembles the brass Italic C found in Cremona
and

(sigh)

leather lorica segmentata

except the segmentata I would say they made the most authentic looking 1st century AD roman soldiers I have ever seen in a movie, though still doesn't reach the quality level of some recent documentaries made with reenactors (of course).

A good point is that the Hungarians managed to convince the "guy in charge" that the roman legionaires still wore their gladius on their right side in the second century AD, though he insisted hard to the opposite. :lol:
Valete,

József Janák
Miles Gregarius
Legio I Adiutrix
Pannoniciani Seniores
Brigetio, Pannonia
Quote: most of the staff moved on to Scotland to continue working there.

Which I was called for, but which I can't go to because I'll be in Libya (so I'm not too bothered).

Thanks for the report Iosephus.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Quote:Which I was called for, but which I can't go to ...
Which group is that, Matt?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Or my BA disseration, which has the added bonus of having a couple of Asterix legionaries painted on the cover. :wink:

That'd sell it to me! Big Grin
"A good point is that the Hungarians managed to convince the "guy in charge" that the roman legionaires still wore their gladius on their right side in the second century AD, though he insisted hard to the opposite."

Good for them!

Good report Jozsef -- thanks.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:
Medicus matt:2ejv0xf5 Wrote:Which I was called for, but which I can't go to ...
Which group is that, Matt?

Not as part of any roman re-enactment group. I did some stunt combat work on the new Robin Hood film back in June and the same combat performance team are doing some of the work in Scotland. Again, there's a boot camp involved.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Blearg!

First, why pick a legion like the 9th...there are another 29 legions out there with far more exciting histories!

Second, I'm not holding my breath on this one...Channing Tatum actually seems like a decent actor, but I have worries about how the story will work out.

Legion: TBD
We have been passed up for being too old!! :roll: :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:...there are another 29 legions out there with far more exciting histories!
Prove it.

Besides, this is a history that never happened, something we all know no reality can live up to .. :mrgreen:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eagle of the Ninth on the Radio mcbishop 3 1,622 10-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Paul Elliott
  Review:The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff ParthianBow 42 10,365 09-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Brent Nielsen
  The Eagle of the Ninth Series got me into Roman Archeolagy. Rdjulius 3 1,315 03-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Rdjulius