Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could this have been the shield pattern of Julius Caesar?
Salve,

Yes… this is art,
Yes… this is a coin,
Yes… there could be artistic interpretation, &
Yes… the moneyer could have just made something up but, at the very least I found this to be intriguing.

The obverse of this coin, minted in 48BC, is the head of Clementia who in Roman religion, was the personification of mercy and clemency. Her worship began with her deification as the celebrated virtue of Julius Caesar.

But it is the reverse of the coin that has, what looks to be, a Roman Republican Shield with perhaps, just perhaps, the shield pattern of Julius Caesar’s legions?

Also, to the far right is an axe (one of the emblems of the pontificate) but center is what appears to be an armor manikin, I can’t place the helmet but, there does appear to be a sword and belt around armor (or that is an officer's knot, it's hard to tell).

Could this represent the armor of Caesar’s troops or even the armor that Caesar himself wore?

Could the moneyer have sketched Caesar’s armor, sword, & helmet the way it was stored in his tent and then stylized the reverse of this coin?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Yes, it’s a coin but… I found it intriguing.

[Image: 08454p00.jpg]

Larger example:
[url:fiuw907t]http://imagedb.coinarchives.com/img/kunker/124/08454q00.jpg[/url]
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Maybe. But pretty weak to go on for a reconstruction.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Maybe. But pretty weak to go on for a reconstruction.

Just as strong as some on Trajans!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Looks very much like the shield pattern of the II AVG as seen on the Arch at Orange!

Quote:Could the moneyer have sketched Caesar’s armor, sword, & helmet the way it was stored in his tent and then stylized the reverse of this coin?

No, not in this case. Look closer.. It depicts what appears to be a trophy of Gallic arms and armour. Caesars victory over Gaul if you like. We see the horned helmet and the Carnyx trumpet depicted on the coin. It's not a Roman shield at all in my opinion.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh... so this is a collection of trophies, well that would explain why I couldn't place the helmet.

Oh well, I thought I was on to something... that's why I posted it and asked questions.

thanks!
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
I believe Peronis is correct.

This coins is identified ( I believe) as RSC 18, showing the head of either Clementia or Pietas. The Roman numerals to the lower left of the head indicate Caesar's age at the time of minting (LII - 52), giving a date of 48 to 47 B.C. It is generally believed to have been minted on the move with Caesar's army in Gaul (military mint).

The reverse of the coin is generally interpreted as a trophy of Gallic arms, with an axe surmounted by a dogs head to the lower right (I cannot remember what this is supposed to represent though!).
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I too would guess this was a "victory coin" (for lack of a better term). I thought I had a picture of this coin in one of my books but I can't find it. I do however have this one:

[Image: Img_4641.jpg]

it says in the book that: "This coin celebrates the victory of Caesar over Vercingetorix, who is here shown as a captive under a trophy of Gallic armour. Vercingetorix was put to death in Rome after appearing in Caesar's rtiumph"

Decimus Apollonius
(Brian Camp)

Legio IX HISPANA
COHORS III EXPUGNATOR
Centuria I HIBERNICI
CON VIII AP

[Image: Brianssignature-1.jpg]

Legio IX Hispana Web Site:
[url:l69cdju8]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org/[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Historically accurate julius Caesar helmet Jake2993 33 6,670 12-16-2014, 12:26 AM
Last Post: Sextus Saturninus
  Roman-Frisian shield pattern Maginhard 13 4,755 07-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Maginhard
  PRAEFECTUS LEGIONIS SEXTAE shield design-pattern Eronnius 20 6,488 06-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat