Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gladius scabbart decoration - construction
Hi All,

After some research I just started with my new gladius decorations. Cut a piece of brass sheet, and started to paint the new decoration onto it. The decoration is free-painted (so it is not an exact copy) and based on the founds from my hometown Nijmegen.

Here the bottom part, I just painted. Next stap will be painting the other parts. After that I will remove the black parts with my dremel. I'll support you al with pictures of the progress!
ALA I BATAVORUM
I'm curious to see how it progresses. Good luck!

I'f you'd want to do an exact reconstruction of the design, carbon paper is very handy for this kind of work.

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I just wanted to do it free hand.

Here a photo of the other part. I've swithed the 2 images to better match my scabbart. Sorry for the bad photo, couldn't got it better now.

[Image: test2.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Looks good - metal chisels/punches may be easier for the geometric border shapes?

What thickness brass are you using?

Look forward to seeing the work progress.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I would certainly invest in a handheld Whitney punch!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:I would certainly invest in a handheld Whitney punch!
One of these, Paul?
Whitney punch

Bizarrely a third of the cost from UK retailers. :roll:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Wicked Jimbo! Big Grin

I've been after one for ages, and I got it for what is a bargain price!
that looks like the knock off punch. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=44060 not as good or well made as the roper whitney punch
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Adrian, Jim! I can pick these up locally for under 20 USD! If you want them I will be happy to get one for you!

!@#$!@#$!@#$ Too late sorry Adrian!

a.k.a. Paul M.
Thanks Paul,

Impetuosity got the better of me!

Sorry for hijacking the thread Jurjen :wink:
@Adrian: No problem. I gonna get such punch, and after I've one start the work. So updates in a couple of weeks.

@Barry: I use .5 mm brass sheet for this one.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I used to make mine with a Dremel and burs too- it's a good idea to start with a small drill though and remove as much material in as many areas as you can with that, then remove the rest with the rotary tool. It's not so easy to get nice points and things though. A set of very small files will help.

And I got one of those punches years ago and to be honest, I find a drill a whole lot easier- I haven't used the punch for a long time now. The 1/8" punch and die, for example, will make a hole just a touch smaller than the average 1/8" shank rivet, so it was always necessary to drill holes out just a little more...

Oh and Jurjen- the large locket plate you made looks to be too narrow- look at the diagram from the book: the real piece actually wraps around quite a bit and is only open a little at the back- there's no side guttering as so many erroneous recreations have.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I agree with Matt ,Ive only used a drill to start things of with so good luck with your locket/ chape look forward to seeing it Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Looking good Jurjen!

Legion: TBD
I have been using one of these punches for years now, and I would never go back to a drill. I find it much more handy to be able to nibble out sections with the punch than I do with drills. Clean up is always much easier afterwards since you dont have the small sharp edges on the backside.

Sulla, I have used mine right up on the edge.

a.k.a. Paul M.