Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iberian cap
I would like to make an "iberian cap" similar to what the miniatures are wearing in this image

[Image: dba_carthaginian_army12.jpg]

Does anyone know how this is made?
To start with, the caps are made of sinew (you might know that part already, but just in case you don't...) and I have no idea where someone could get that. Very thin leather might be a suitable substitute if you were willing and had to sacrifice making the cap out of a historically accurate material.

Once you get your hands on the material to make the cap with, the construction does not look like it would be too difficult.

First, the back part of the cap looks very much like the hood on a modern jacket. I would use one of those as a model for sewing the back part of the cap. Another option might be to soak the leather/sinew in hot water, stretch it to shape over a ball or deep bowl that is about the same size as your head, and then let it dry. If that worked it would give you a nice smooth rounded shape, but I really don't know if it would work - personally I would probably stick with sewing it. The back part looks like it should fit your head only as far forward as your ears and should hang down to slightly past the shoulders.

Next, the front part of the cap. Along the front edge of the helmet you would need to sew 3, maybe 4, overlapping strips of leather/sinew that are about 2 inches, or 5 cm if you prefer metric, wide. This should end at about your forehead. Then take another piece of leather/sinew and sew it across the front so that it covers your forehead.

The crest I am not sure about - it could just be that the horsehair is attached directly to the cap or there could be a crest block.

Those are my thoughts on it - hopefully you found them useful! Smile
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX
Thanks, very helpfull indeed

About the crest, i have the impression that it isnt horsehair but some kind of fabric.

The cap is depicted on the Osprey - Romes Enemies 4 - Spanish Armies.
The image does not quite seem like it is horsehair.

Any ideas about this?