Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A riders bow! Your opinion?
My Bows have no plastic ( all matrials was original matirals ) and was Handmade.

This is a picture from a mongolian bow. Look to the ferst pictur.
http://lebendigegeschichte.myblog.de/le ... eflexbogen

David Kellenberger
Legio Tertiani Italica

Lebendige Geschichte
Geschichtsdarstellungen aller Art für Museen, Schulen und
Geschichtsinteressierte
Experimentelle Archäologie, Archäotechnik , Museumspädagogik

E-mail:[email protected]

http://lebendigegeschichte.myblog.de/

When I get my own bow, (still strengthening my neck muscles so am on lower poundage), I am thinking of buying the Grozer Scythian.
They are very versatile and as mentioned, can be used in varying period impressions (given the context) unlike some bows. You can even use them in modern Archery competitions :wink:
The more basic models are also very reasonably priced for those who want something decent but are limited on budget...
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:When I get my own bow, (still strengthening my neck muscles so am on lower poundage), I am thinking of buying the Grozer Scythian.
They are very versatile and as mentioned, can be used in varying period impressions (given the context) unlike some bows. You can even use them in modern Archery competitions :wink:
The more basic models are also very reasonably priced for those who want something decent but are limited on budget...

Hi Arthes,
You can indeed use them in modern archery competitions, they are categorised as barebow.
It's amusing when modern archers first see the Scythian and snigger at this little cute 'Cupid's bow', then their jaws drop to the ground when they see how fast and true an arrow is when fired from it 8)

P.S. To those who have ordered bows from Grozer, how long did it take to arrive ?
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Memmia wrote: P.S. To those who have ordered bows from Grozer, how long did it take to arrive ?

If you are going to order from grozerarchery.com they can deliver a bow within two weeks if in stock and if they will build the bow with your specifications it can take up to 2-3 months. There are some very good dealers who usually have in stock the most popular Grozer and Kassai bows.

One of them is bowshop.eu which has very good service. I just ordered a 110 pound kassai "Bear" bow from them and just came from shooting. My whole body aches now but my god, If you have absolutely, definitely have to kill every m....n` goth out there that`s your weapon :wink: !"

I have also two other Grozer bows and I can recommend them sincerely! Please ask if you would like to know something about these bows, perhaps I can help you to avoid some beginners mistakes :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
So what is the problem wit hthe Gozner Roman bow? Other than the low draw weight?

Your bows look intrigueing too David, but too steep for me, as I only want one for the fun of it. Perhaps alittle hunting too! One day!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It is fibreglass.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Yes, Grozer makes also "genuine" composite bows (with animal glue, wood, horn & sinew). They are quite expensive, require maintenance and are vulnerable to different weather conditions (humidity etc.).

I have chosen these partly fiber-glass bows because they are reliable, affordable and great fun to shoot :wink: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
One of our local archers has an authentic bow for display, but a fiberglass replica for actually shooting, because as he says, "I can't afford to buy another real one."....
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
OK Makes sense to me! I would be nice to have the genuine one for display! But as I am not an archer, and would only shoot it occasionally, the grozny one would do for me!(and my meager budget.....)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Nice kit David!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
it certainly looks great! 8)
Manuel Peters
Looking good David !
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Memmia wrote: P.S. To those who have ordered bows from Grozer, how long did it take to arrive ?

If you are going to order from grozerarchery.com they can deliver a bow within two weeks if in stock and if they will build the bow with your specifications it can take up to 2-3 months. There are some very good dealers who usually have in stock the most popular Grozer and Kassai bows.

One of them is bowshop.eu which has very good service. I just ordered a 110 pound kassai "Bear" bow from them and just came from shooting. My whole body aches now but my god, If you have absolutely, definitely have to kill every m....n` goth out there that`s your weapon :wink: !"

I have also two other Grozer bows and I can recommend them sincerely! Please ask if you would like to know something about these bows, perhaps I can help you to avoid some beginners mistakes :wink: ...

Cheers Virilis Smile

I wondered because my fiance ordered a Hungarian and it took over 3 months, just wondered if that was normal for Grozer.Seemed like he waited forever!

110 pound bow ? That's impressive. Big Grin

I'm hoping to take up 'serious' archery in the future and get plenty of practice, that'll be fun, at present I couldn't hit a neon painted elephant from 2 feet away Cry

Thanks
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Hehe. This thread is particularly intresting for me, as one who is looking to buy a first bow in the next few months. This bow would be used for reenactment (Comitatus), maybe next year, i'm not sure when i'd be ready to participate in a show. I've been looking at a few (with the help of John Conyard) mostly Hunnic ones. Forgot to mention, this would be Horse Archery.
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
Quote:I wondered because my fiance ordered a Hungarian and it took over 3 months, just wondered if that was normal for Grozer.Seemed like he waited forever!

110 pound bow ? That's impressive. Big Grin

I'm hoping to take up 'serious' archery in the future and get plenty of practice, that'll be fun, at present I couldn't hit a neon painted elephant from 2 feet away Cry

Hi Memmia! The reason must be the summer season for the long time it did take the bow to arrive your fiance? If they have the bow in stock it will usually take two weeks to arrive.

Yes, I got my 110 pounder "Bear" two weeks ago. My god, the arrow flies like a bullet with it! The only downside with it that you should shoot with it with a strange hybrid-like technique between a medieval longbow and a an eastern recurve. You kind of push your ass back and draw the arrow behind your ear and that way the aiming is very different than with lighter bows. It certainly requires some adaptation and is more fun to shoot with a high trajectory some "masses" from far away (150 metres?) :wink: ! So I usually do some target shooting with lighter bows and at last I will do some "heroic" :wink: shots with that heavy bow. I`ll do some push-ups for warming before I shoot that heavy bow and especially some push-ups with my left arm to make it ready for the high pressure. The left shoulder surprisingly is more vulnerable when shooting with the heavy bows...

Believe me, it is GREAT FUN to shoot with those recurve bows Confusedhock: ! I can still remember all the mistakes I made when I started to shoot! Don´t hesitate if you have something to ask, it would be a sin to repeat all the mistakes I made at first :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX