Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ornate pugio plates - a possible easy approach?
Type B pugio scabbard plates. Has anyone ever tried an unauthentic, but possible alternative to chisel engraving the channels for inlay, which leaves most mortal men dumbstruck with horror at the thought of doing? Also a lot more straightforward (maybe) than acid etching.

Take two thin steel plates, each half the thickness of what the end plate would be, and cut them both to the same appropriate shape. Take one of the plates and simply drill/cut/chisel/whatever the inlay pattern. Not engraved, but actual holes.

Put that on top of the other plate and fix them together, leaving inlay channels at half the scabbard plate's depth. Finish the edges so they're seamless.

Inlay the beggar.

Is that cheating too much? :wink: Would it work?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
That sounds like it would work Jim, especially if you hid the seams well on the sides.

Legion: TBD
Sounds like a cunning plan Jim. Maybe using thicker base plate and thinner top plate making the production of the design a little easier?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
It's definitely worth trying, and glad you guys think so. Another thought was that if the steel plate was twice as tall, the shape could be cut mirror style and the plate folded in half for the final thickness after the inner shapes are cut out. That way the whole construction might be more solid to start with. Maybe. :?

Also, the inlay cuts could be filed at an angle on the reverse of the plate, to give a grip for the inlays as with chiseled undercutting (is that the right word?).
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Peronis just pointed out a fatal flaw Sad The intricate designs can't be done, only the simpler ones that don't involve unconnected shapes which have no means of being joined to the rest of the plate.

Crash and burn.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I'd try acid etching if I was you Jim. It takes some experimentation time but in the end it will work.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I think you're right Jef.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
You all probably already know this, so forgive me in advance if that is the case, but I read a pretty easy technique for acid etching.

Coat the plate with a thin layer of wax, inscribe the design in the wax, and soak in the acid.

Remove the wax.

From the source I read, this was a technique pioneered by the Etruscans that was adopted and perpetuated by the Romans.

Edge
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
Nope, didn't know that, Edge. Thanks for the hot tip, it sounds absolutely spot on. Whenever I think of acid etching I think of a far more complex process.

Laudes for you.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks, Jim.

Glad I could help -- read this in "Caesar and Christ" by Will and Ariel Durant, published in 1944.

Regards,

Edge
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
I make the etching painting with a spray the metal, inscribing the pattern, and submerging the piece in iron clorur. It's very slow but efective.
What kind of spray do you use Cesar?
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
The used for make graffiti :lol: Its' enamel paint, very strong.
How deep of a channel does the acid make? And do you dilute it at all with water?

Legion: TBD
The deep depends of the time ins submersion. All it's a thing to make attemps (with scrap iron) until get the desired result.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Textile subarmalis / new approach caiusbeerquitius 6 2,197 12-14-2022, 03:05 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius
  Ornate Crest Details? Pointer 1 999 08-27-2012, 04:30 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Ornate pugio discussion AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 56 9,982 04-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus