Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Imperial Gallic D Reconstruction
Below are links to a newly reconstructed Gallic D helmet that belongs to a friend of mine. This helmet is argubly according to my friend, the most accurate and beautiful reconstruciton up to date. Some of the decorations on this helmet might not have been seen before since other reconstructions that I know of do not have them.

I have included photos showing what the helmet probably looked like in its original state when first produced (3/4 view and the neckguard views) and the way most people are used to seeing it from Robinson (with the

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I forgot to incorporate the profile of the helmet :oops:

Here is the link:

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
The word awesome doesn't do it justice....could you give us some construction detail- eg is the laurel leaf around the brow guard embossed brass? Can't check re accuracy as my Robinson copy is not to hand at the moment.
And let me have the pleasure of awarding a laudes!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
This is Beautiful! Big Grin

Quote:Some of the decorations on this helmet might not have been seen before since other reconstructions that I know of do not have them.

Neither did the original! :wink:

The the brow guard wasn’t so thick (only about 8mm).

A member of our group has one too. Made by White Rose armoury in the UK.

That doesn't detract from it still being an awesome helmet though! Big Grin
[Image: 5175342_gobsmacked.jpg]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks for the appreciation I :!: will tell my friend of the positive response.

Actually Peroni the original did have the things you see in the pictures. Confusedhock: Robinson is not the first to see this helmet. In fact the person who wrote the most comprehensive report on this helmet was not Robinson it was Lindenschmit; the only person that we know of that actually held the helmet and wrote the specifics. The armorer has a copy of the original paper. Lindenschmit specifically wrote that the neckguard has roped edges or cord like edges.

He also mentions that the peak is 13mm not 8mm. Moreover, he also mentions that the left brass studded cheekpiece is different than the right cheekpiece; the right cheekpiece having silver rosettes.

Paolo
HOLY CRAP! That is AWESOME!!!!

Please more details on construction!
Decimus Apollonius
(Brian Camp)

Legio IX HISPANA
COHORS III EXPUGNATOR
Centuria I HIBERNICI
CON VIII AP

[Image: Brianssignature-1.jpg]

Legio IX Hispana Web Site:
[url:l69cdju8]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org/[/url]
I can definitly agree with and verify that statement! The man who made it went to a lot of trouble and was able to obtain the report from the mainz museum, if I remember correctly! To bad he won't make any more! (not that I could afford it anyway Cry )

A work of love and perserverance! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I feel I must genuflect in the presence of the wearer who certainly can't be a common soldier (or centurion for that matter) Big Grin
Jaime
And here is a picture of the original
[Image: Mainzhelmet.jpg]

I think you can see the corded neckguard if you expand the picture, though I don't detect it on the cheekguards.

Cheers
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Yes Byron,

The man who made it certainly went through lots of trouble. I know because my friend who owns it was on needles waiting.

It is true that the cheekguard shown does not have the rope edging. However, the cheekguard that is present in that tinted photo that Caballo posted is not the original cheekpiece present on the helmet when first constructed. According to Lindenschmit, the right decoration on the neckguard is a bronze stud and the left cheekpiece has the same bronze studs.

The right cheekpiece as mentioned earlier had silver rosettes just like the rosettes on the temples and the rosettes on the neckguard which in fact are silver.

No mention is made however on the exact details of the right cheekpiece with the silver rosettes. However we know from the Gallic helmets that the edging on the neckguard matches the edges on the cheekguards. Also the rosettes on the Gallic helmet temples and neckguard match the cheekguard rosettes.

Ergo if in the original as per Lindenschmit the right cheekpiece rosettes are silver and the neckguard has a roped edge, then rest of the helmet rosettes must have been silver (as is obvious and stated by Lindenscmit and Robinson), and thus the edges of the entire helmet would have been roped. So on the original cheekpiece even if all the details are not described there probably were roped edges just like the neckguard.

The bronze studded cheekpiece does not have roped edges but again it was a replacement part not the original cheekpiece.

Thanks

Paolo

Paolo
More exact construction details cannot be given since the armorer is writing a publication on the construction of the peak and various other elements.

Paolo

Paolo
Hmmmm, I must be seeing things, because I can almost make out roping on the cheek guard...... :lol: :roll: Guess the eyes do play tricks, especially with pixilated digital images.....
Perhaps when I send him a copy of the new Ancient Warrior magazine, he will write something for that too!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Wow, that's amazing!

Legion: TBD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Imperial Italic D vs Gallic G Helmet Cheek Guard lenghts wwiigunz 0 1,147 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: wwiigunz
  Imperial Gallic E irwimar 8 3,857 01-16-2017, 11:40 PM
Last Post: irwimarl
  Metal Spinning Imperial Gallic Helmet nightwork 0 1,381 08-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Last Post: nightwork