Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tarraco Viva 2007. Some pics
Looks like a fantastic event - is this an annual event?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Thanks for those pictures!!!! That court of Galla Placidia looks great!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Fantastic pictures, thanks for posting
Keith Hendry
Terra Australis.
Hi,

Great pictures- particularly like the hoplites advancing.

One question- how did the rider wearing the full face helmet find it affected him in terms of perceiving attacks/ being able to function? Really interested to hear more of the experience.

Cheers
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
During the mock training fight he seemed to be able to see and/or hear reasonably well, even when attacked from behind. He could even see the foot members of the team holding replacement javelins waiting for him. Although there was nothing like the chaos and noise and movement of real battle, the audience was really big and noisy.
Quote:Looks like a fantastic event - is this an annual event?

Yes. It is held at Tarragona every year since 1999, during the second half of May. Main events tend to concentrate during a weekend, usually the las weekend in May. This year it has been held a bit earlier because of local elections at the end of May
A great event I was very happy to take some time from work off to attend.
There was so much going on the whole weekend that it was phisically impossible to be at all places at once, specially at Saturday.
Missed the late empire display because for some unknown reason they were set up in a nearby village and very hard to locate if you were not already familiar with the place. Drove by two times but did not get to see it.
Very nice active displays of Iberian, Celtiberian and Greek cultures. The most visual one was the Hoplite set up which saw this year two fellows from the UK (Hoplite Society).
Ars Dimicandi was awesome in their Gladiatura which I got to see twice on those two days. Besides the fights themselves there was also a nice historical intro and the relation between the army set up and the gladiatorial figures. Although the relation between the Murmillo and the big rectangular shield wielding trooper could be followed I found the Auxillia and Provocatores match up a bit weird. Not to mention the Tracian and a figure I had not previously identified as part of the run of the mill roman legion. A Hoplite style soldier that acording to the commentator was in continuos use till Aurelius under the name Levi armature:

[Image: ad_1_i0009ad.gif]

Here a link to another shot of this fellow from Ars´website

Notice also the active use of a Trajan column style atic helmet. Has one been found already?

http://www.arsdimicandi.net/ad_1_i0009b2.gif

The cavalry was a great show too and it was truly amazing which which ease he rode about with that face mask.

Will try to get my own pictures up here too.
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
Salvete,
as soon as they are returned from Tarraco and they are much happy one of like has carried out all the manifestation. They are happy for having known precious personages as Fernando Quesada and I say thanks very many for its availability and friendship, Aitor with which we have only been able to exchange little words. They are not successful to see nobody and I have had displeasure of this, I would have appreciate a lot. As soon as it will be possible I will send some photo.
Thanks to all
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
Hi everybody and special thanks to Fernando! Big Grin
It was a great and hectic edition. I spent two days 'dressed' from early in the morning to the small hours :roll:
It was really nice to meet in person 'new' RATers Paul, Daniel and Hephestus (plus already known ones, like Graham, Fernando, Mambri, Cesar, Carme, Quim...) Big Grin evil:
Paul Allen got a spear injure on one foot during the first hoplite battle on Friday evening. Nothing serious, he told me, but annoying, anyway Sad

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote: When you're 'working' at a festival, you must miss most part of the show :evil:
yeah, I know.. Part of the job, alas...

Quote:Paul Allen got a spear injure on one foot during the first hoplite battle on Friday evening. Nothing serious, he told me, but annoying, anyway Sad
We want to see the bloody pictures!!!! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
All right, all right, here you are you blood-thirsty barbarians!!! Your wishes will be satisfied. Yopu did not expect we could document battle wounds, did you?
Mwah... Just a bandaged foot.. no blood anywhere... :? D
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
There was blood, a small, continuous seepage for the whole of my stay, but we Thespians don't like to mess the place up, hence the bandage.
I'm sure someone there took a picture of the wound, just after it was made, which I think would have satisfied you guys, but I don't know who it was. Interestingly, it didn't even slow me down at the time, although I thought, on the next day, that I might be unable to continue with the show.
Further, it has left a tiny little "+" on my foot, because the aichme, from Manning Imperial, has a central spine. So, stabbing someone in the foot in battle probably wouldn't do you any good, unless you actually pinned the chap to the ground. - And then, of course, you'd have lost your spear...
Hello Paul
Good to meet you in Tarragona! Did you get back safely, just as I was about to board my plane in Reus there was a public annoncement asking if a Paul Alan travelling to Stansted could report to the information desk! I guess that was you!
Sorry I did not take any pictures of your foot but I have others I can send you!
I hope you enjoyed my exhibition in the flesh so to speak.

Now I have a 'footy' match of my own to watch, goodnight!
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Yep! That was me! They couldn't get my shield in its box through their x-ray chamber, so I had to go and open it for them. Laugh? I nearly paid the air fare. Great to see you at the show, and to get a look at your artwork.
While I'm on the subject, I'd like to say what a pleasure it was to meet fellow RAT members Aitor and Faventianus there, as well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tarraco Viva 2016 Graham Sumner 12 7,048 06-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  TARRACO VIVA 2012 Graham Sumner 28 6,054 03-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Last Post: daconey
  After Tarraco Viva 2011 (that\'s the XIIIth!) Iagoba 0 1,129 05-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Iagoba