Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if...?
Hmmm, I never got that impression, but it has been a while since Iread this stuff! :? ? oops:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Pericles was top dog I thought
Yes, he was, but he was subject to the democratic process, and could be replaced, something that indeed happened after war broke out. He was able to be reelected, however, and succumbed to the Plague. I think that had he survived the Plague, and had Athens understood the financial consequences of Pericles' strategy, he would have been sent packing a second time.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
My point was, Pericles himself would have realized that his strategy was too costly and would have modified it in order to stay in power and keep ahead of the game. Smile
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Not that the strategy they followed after him was successful! Too many plotters and wishy-washy voters. Had Alcibiadis been left to command in Sicily, that too would have had a different outcome, I am sure.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Oh, I agree. If you are to institute a bold plan, then you should have a bold commander to carry out those plans.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Quote:Had Alcibiadis been left to command in Sicily, that too would have had a different outcome, I am sure.
I hate to play the role of eternal skeptic, but we must not forget that Thucydides had a different opinion: he implies -using Demosthenes as a sockpuppet- that only Lamachus' plan had any chance of being successful (7.42.3). The proposals of Nicias and Alcibiades were, in his judgment, impractical. Of course Thucydides can be wrong, but it is a judgment that needs to be taken very seriously.

The matter has on several occasions been discussed by Hornblower, most accessibly in his History of the Greek World (in the chapter on the Peloponnesian War of course :wink: ).
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
True, Alcibiadies is painted rather badly by Thucididies. And I'm not so sure he is wrong.....my impression was a little tainted by a good book I read first :lol: but at least it motivated me to read more on the subject! 8)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I think Thukydides least reliable parts are the judgements about the generals, still in command while he was forced out.
Wolfgang Zeiler