Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius
Rick,

You may have that in your mind, as to how the tutorial is being written, but I didn't actually see it in your explanation, and I have seen way too many new reenactors go out and invest time and money in their kit and then feel foolish because it was not well researched.

But maybe I missed it somewhere, I'll have to go back and reread everything again.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
OK Rick - looking forward to the guide. I am sure the techniques could be adapted to most sword types as you say.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I agree that having a wholistic knowledge of a thing is the core of understanding and bringing forth it's full richness ,appreciation and exactness. And I do suggest that all who have an interest in this subject do just that. That is not however the purpose of this thread

What you are suggesting is something akin to making it mandatory to know all about the history of sushi in order to make it an eat it.

I ask you please what should we be researching here? we are taking a known and accepted pattern and duplicating it in steel. It is a hands on project. That is the ONLY purpose of this all. To gain the ability to work steel into a sword.

Thanks again

Vale

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
If I may, on the research question.
This step is best done before you even buy a piece of steel ( if you don't know what your trying to copy you won't know what to buy anyway Big Grin ).

Then, the tutorial to turn the materials into the sword you've researched.

My personal method is to if at all possable, print pictures of the original article I'm trying to fabricate and, put them above my workbench.
This helps me with small details that may slip my mind (happens more every year) .

Of course, depending on the sword that is chosen a little guess work may have to be employed( fifth century C.E. :evil: ) but, for the most part enough information is available to make an accurate looking sword that, one would almost have to go out of there way to make a farby sword.

So, if your going to spend the time making a sword spend an hour (first century C.E.) or a year ( fifth century C.E.) to learn as much as you can about the original of the item. If you don't, you can only blame yourself.
Dave Akers.
Quote:I agree that having a wholistic knowledge of a thing is the core of understanding and bringing forth it's full richness ,appreciation and exactness. And I do suggest that all who have an interest in this subject do just that. That is not however the purpose of this thread

What you are suggesting is something akin to making it mandatory to know all about the history of sushi in order to make it an eat it.

I ask you please what should we be researching here? we are taking a known and accepted pattern and duplicating it in steel. It is a hands on project. That is the ONLY purpose of this all. To gain the ability to work steel into a sword.

Thanks again

Vale

Rick

Then the thread should be 'blade making' not 'gladius making'. If you define it specifically, then pattern is an important first step.

Indeed there are clearly accurate patterns for every type of gladius, but they're not the only ones out there- there are just as many that are only 'versions' that have fundamental flaws and if one isn't careful, as Caius said, one might end up wasting a huge amount of time making a blade that's incorrect...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
G'day Gentlemen,
ALL of your points are well taken however if I might ask what's wrong/incorrect with these swords and the patterns for the four blades as illustrated here?? I would very much appreciate any comments.

Again I thank you for your input and advice.

Cheers

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q315 ... 005117.jpg

Here are my two Albion Mainz's, for what it's worth!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hail Gaius Julius Caeser!

Thanks for the donation.

Nothin like help right from the top head numero uno!

Big Grin

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
I would actually be very gratefull for any and all as accepted historically correct Mainz pattern gladius pics etc.

Thank you

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Here are a few originals... if it helps at all...

[Image: mainzgladiusmilit-gladius.jpg]

Link:
[url:12bqurie]http://www.romancoins.info/London%20(19).JPG[/url]

and several original pieces here (HUGE photos):
[url:12bqurie]http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEquipment-Attack.html[/url]
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Hi Anthony good to see you again. Thank you so much for the pics. To be perfectly honest I have an entire huge file on Roman swords have been actually researching them for quite a while so I do already have these pics. I have my own reason for asking however.

Thank you sir and you take care Anthony!

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
And so what's wrong with this sword???
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
It's too pretty--you'll have to send it to me to....even out the fortune....

:wink:
Brandon Shifflet
The brass plate should be embedded in the guard, not exposed?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks for that Byron. So there is a certain percentage of coleus concerning the shown sword?

Many thanks Sir.

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,552 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,730 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Sharpening 1st Century Gladius and Spatha Sword Points Pointer 0 1,391 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Pointer