Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius Scabbard
I was given a Pompeii Gladius by a good friend, it was missing a suspension band. I fabricated a new one, and now have to ask:

What are the distances between the suspension bands?

I have seen a few others that appear to have a collar or band at the throat of the scabbard, then the 2 suspension bands below, what are the distances for these as well?? I want to do it right, and I think I may have erred, as I put my first loop at the top of the scabbard.......oops!!
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Salve,

On a Pompeii gladius the bottom band typically sits where the brass meets the leather, the upper band is half way between the top and the bottom band. (see below)

I unfortunately do not have any specific measurements of original museum galadius scabbards however; my mainz gladius is 2 1/4 inches apart.

Also, I'm quite certain there was at least some slight variance in the distance, size, thickness and shape of each Roman part, as they were all hand made by different craftsman over the years of course.

If you are trying to replicate one specific gladius scabbard then you should wait for the exact measurements however; if you look at the original example below and my gladius below that and the two $200 Pompeii Gladius examples from Albion Swords at the bottom, they do appear to be about 2 1/4 inches apart, maybe 2" on the original?

Honestly, you should be able to 'eyeball it' as they say. :wink:

[Image: tib_aug_sword.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3844_400.jpg]

[Image: amq0001b.jpg]
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Yup Wes, unfortunately you made a mistake there- the first suspension ring band does not go at the top- that's just a ribbed band there.

The distance between suspension ring bands varies among extant pompeiensis scabbard lockets Wes, but does your scabbard not have decorated panels that already dictate where the bands should go?

Actual dimensions of artifacts probably won't help you because they're smaller than pretty-much any reproduction around, but scaled-up, anything around 7.5cm (~3") from mid-band to mid-band would be correct. But again it's really dictated by the panels on your particular locket...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Here are three pics of the one in Leeds Armoury

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q315 ... ome055.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q315 ... ome054.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q315 ... ome053.jpg
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
There was nothing on the scabbard other than the one loose suspension band. I will have to undo and redo, another learning experience brought to you by over-enthusiasm. Looks like I will be making some brass plates to jazz it up a bit. Thanks For the info!!
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
So it has no locket at all and just a single suspension ring band? Yeah, that's a lot more work than just fabricating a replacement band- another forum member is making his own scabbard metal components, so perhaps you will benefit from seeing what he does ultimately: link from old RAT
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,732 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Searching For Scabbard and Gladius PARTS Pointer 19 5,080 02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  pompei gladius whit scabbard plates from carnuntum munazio planco 2 2,077 07-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Last Post: arklore70