Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swastikas, Roman Gear, modern reenactment (cont from market)
I have avoided this topic as I had doubts that there was anything of worth that I could add to the discussion. However, the flow of the discussion has caused me to ponder once again the nature of evil and our changing perception of it.

The central question that keeps coming up in this thread seems to be: Can we reclaim a symbol from those who besmirched it and restore it to its original meaning?

In Japan you will find maps with the swastika on it denoting the location of Buddhist Temples. They were using that symbol long before Hitler (or his parents, or his grand parents for that matter) was even born. That the Nazi’s used it was of small consequence to the Buddhists as they had been using it for much longer.

Even so the Japanese and the Chinese are sensitive to its use, and, for that matter, the use of the SS runes. You see this in the fact that on toys of WWII vehicles and action figures these symbols are either absent or covered up. Of course, there are good economic reasons for doing so as they do want their products to sell in Europe were the display of these symbols is strictly regulated.

Here in the West the situation is somewhat trickier, and yet symbols can be reclaimed.

Allow me to go “way outâ€
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Messages In This Thread
The nazis and the swastika - by Celer - 05-27-2007, 06:50 AM
sigh - by Caius Fabius - 05-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Re: sigh - by Tarbicus - 05-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Re: sigh - by Magnus - 05-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Re: Swastikas, Roman Gear, modern reenactment (cont from market) - by Narukami - 05-31-2007, 08:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New "Roman" Abomination on the market jkaler48 3 1,250 08-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Dithrambus
  New Releases of Roman Movies on the Market (VHS, DVD, etc.) Restitvtvs 1 1,107 10-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat