Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End - Anyone seen it?
I saw it this afternoon and I am quite contented that the trilogy ended in such a way. At times it almost seemed to elevate itself to a level of myth, perhaps because it borrowed heavily from some traditional myths and epic literature, both ancient and more modern. A lot of these were quite subtly buried within the story line, but there are some allusions to Sisyphus, along with some elements of Milton and Dante. The most blatant lifting from an ancient tale was from The Aeneid, echoing Aeneas' journy into the underworld (as well as that of Orpheus). Watch out for a rendition of Aeneas meeting his sire in Hades.

All in all a fun film and a most enjoyable time at the cinema. Lots of action, a fairly good storyline, great special effects, and a quite attractive leading lady. Go see it if you haven't!

Anyone else seen it? Thoughts, opinions, feelings? Big Grin
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
I enjoyed it, but think that the scenario was a bit chaotic. Too many jokes and effects were needed to hide the script's weakness; now great effects and humor are fine, but too much of it diminishes suspense. Still, a nice movie.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I might go and watch it later.
The first one was brilliant, the second one was rubbish :evil: so I'm hoping the latest will be better Smile

P.S. I stuck a false beard on for a laugh the other day at my mate's house (part of a fancy dress costume), my resemblance to Captain Jack Sparrow/ Johnny Depp was rather disturbing Cry
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
These movies are fun but they are pure fantasy. Now that they've revived the pirate genre I want to see a movie about real pirates doing real pirate stuff. I love pirates.
Pecunia non olet
Modern day pirates are still a scourge in the Caribbean.

Although they use guns now instead of cutlasses.

It's a real problem to police outside international waters.
Friends of Letocetum
Quote:Modern day pirates are still a scourge in the Caribbean.
Not only there: in the waters around the Horn of Africa and the Bight of Biafra, the sailors aboard trading vessels receive guns to protect their ships. I once shared a hotel room in Rome with a man who had even been forced to use the gun.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:
Memmia:25uokexp Wrote:Modern day pirates are still a scourge in the Caribbean.
Not only there: in the waters around the Horn of Africa and the Bight of Biafra, the sailors aboard trading vessels receive guns to protect their ships. I once shared a hotel room in Rome with a man who had even been forced to use the gun.

Confusedhock:
Friends of Letocetum
By the way, there's going to be a fourth sequel...
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

Quote:
Jona Lendering:1msdai4s Wrote:
Memmia:1msdai4s Wrote:Modern day pirates are still a scourge in the Caribbean.

Confusedhock:

Not there alone, the waters of south-east asia are also plauged by pirates!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Saw it with my daughter Friday afternoon.

It is a long film but good silly fun -- we had a great time, no complaints.

Yes, the first film was remarkable.

The second was a major disappointment.

This third one puts the series back on track.

And yes, it does look like there will be a fourth film -- at least they have laid the groundwork for yet another film.

Will they make it?

Only time will tell, but if box office is any indicator it is a done deal.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
There are pirates between Florida and Cuba, and around Baja California. They are not friends of the Coast Guard.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I had SO MUCH FUN watching this movie! I was willing to overlook the plain silliness of it because I was having a lot of fun! =) Big Grin
Monika Lokelani D-R
Burbank, CA USA
And good for you! When you go to a fantasy movie, it's senseless to make historical critique!

It's safe to assume all the POTC movies are fantasy, isn't it?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:And good for you! When you go to a fantasy movie, it's senseless to make historical critique!
It's safe to assume all the POTC movies are fantasy, isn't it?

Is it? I thought POTC was based on a little-known book by Herodotus? :twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Fantasy which borrows from others! :lol: What a ground breaking idea! Big Grin D

Guess I should have followed my dreams....... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peroni hits the Caribbean... Magnus 10 2,200 02-05-2009, 12:34 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  Pics from the West Caribbean Magnus 12 2,843 02-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Pirates! Spedius 19 3,852 04-22-2006, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Graham Sumner