Linothorax design/construction
This guy
http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/armour ... lcuir.html
has made a leather linothorax.
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Oh,but this is just paint.Window's! Obviously you didn't think it would have been THAT simple Tongue
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Urine is used in the tanning process to attack fats. the active ingrediant is ammonia.

Natural linen is buff however when thrown over grass fields for a period of time it bleaches white, a practice still used in many parts of the world.

As far as new things about the linothorax go, i believe it went through an evolutionary process with at least five distinctive types

Paul if you want to attack my research, great, thats fine i have no problem with that, that is how history research works. I would be a hypocrite to not allow you to do so as i have attacked the research of others in it, but could you let me finish it first, Thanks.
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
Ok i think ive worked this out,

Bellum Tumbulus, Tomb Fresco
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
Levkadhia, Great Tomb
Sarcophagus of the Amazons
two more
It looks like one got left out ill add it later
This is from the tomb of kallikles and Lyson that was mentioned earlier

the previouse one is the Vulci tomb
Quote:I would be a hypocrite to not allow you to do so as i have attacked the research of others in it, but could you let me finish it first, Thanks.

As someone who conducts research for a living, I can tell you there is nothing better than people attacking your research before it is finished. If they have any valid critisism you can specifically address this in your paper and silence them, while if they are clueless they are left with egg on their face when you publish. The controversy only makes the eventual product more interesting.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Jason said:-
Quote:Paul if you want to attack my research, great, thats fine i have no problem with that, that is how history research works. I would be a hypocrite to not allow you to do so as i have attacked the research of others in it, but could you let me finish it first, Thanks.
.....Jason, I have not attacked your research ! How could I, when I have not even seen it yet ??!! Sad ) D
On the other hand, I have disagreed with some of your posts here, on the grounds that I believe them to be incorrect and misleading.Surely such debate is one of the functions of this forum ? :wink:
However, as Paul B says, that merely gives you the opportunity to think through and refute those views in advance, or to rethink your position.
Far better to do that in advance of publication, surely?
To Gioi
You've done it again! What a magnificent eaxample of a painted sculpture! I, for one, have not seen this important piece before...an important link between Hellenistic and Imperial Roman sculpture...where does it come from? What is its exact dating? Where did you find it? Are there more like it....? A laudes for this...
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
The peti was made of multiple layers of quilted cotton. It is virtually identical to the European padded jack except for the cut. Some are covered with fine leather but there is still quilted cotton underneath.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Dan Howard said :-
Quote:The peti was made of multiple layers of quilted cotton. It is virtually identical to the European padded jack except for the cut. Some are covered with fine leather but there is still quilted cotton underneath.

...which should serve to remind us that the Greek tube-and-yoke corselet could well have been 'composite'.......for example, two layers of leather with flax stuffed between for padding, or leather layers with an outer cover of a single sheet of linen......or something else entirely....

Wouldn't that leave us all with egg on our faces ?? Smile D lol: :lol: :lol:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:However, as Paul B says, that merely gives you the opportunity to think through and refute those views in advance, or to rethink your position.
Far better to do that in advance of publication, surely?

Agreed, it has made me look into linen / leather alot more than i would have otherwise.
Quote:...which should serve to remind us that the Greek tube-and-yoke corselet could well have been 'composite'.......for example, two layers of leather with flax stuffed between for padding, or leather layers with an outer cover of a single sheet of linen......or something else entirely....

I think composite construction should be part of our basic assumptions. Some Indian composite linen armors had a layer of leather in the center to act as a base for the nails holding on the metal reinforcements, perhaps analogous to the scaled portions of Tube and Yoke (T-Y) corselets. The abrasion resistance of leather would make it attractive as an outer layer or as edging at the very least.

On the other hand, if I remember what I read correctly, there were indian leather armors covered in a sheet of velvet. In fact even with pure linen we would have textural differences based on the density of stitching.

The question is probably more of of degree ands surely varied temporally and spacially during the long appearance of the T-Y corselet.

As an aside, does anyone still believe in glued layers??
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
No,

Paul, I have not been able to find a glue that they would have been able to use. all dried rigid and if flexed delaminated quickly and I believe it actually reduced the stopping power of the armour but i am still investigating that one and cant say for sure.