Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed on correct legionary impression
Greetings,

I've been a member for awhile, and have learned a lot here. Now i plan to do an impression of a soldier of the XIIII Legion GMV, circa 60 AD Britain during the revolt of Queen Boudica.

I've reenacted other eras including US Civil War, and WWII. I don't want to repeat mistakes i've madein the past getting items only to find out later that they are incorrect and need to be replaced.

I could use the advice of the expertshere at RAT on what and where to get correct gear such as a pugio, pilum, caliga, etc. I just purchased an Imperial Gallic G, AH6052-N and a Pompeii Gladius, AH4211 from SOTW, but need everything else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Maius/Bill Lund
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
Here is a good place to start on what not to do. As a point of starting, avoid Museum Replicas like the plague. Bad bad bad.
Brandon Shifflet
contact Dan Peterson, via the Fort Campbell museum, he has been researching and reenacting the XIIII GMV of that time period for the past 20 years.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
There are a few people on here from the XIIIIth in the UK too, who may be of some help! :wink:

Not me of course, I'm stupid! Just stupid!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Just a question... I've not heard anything (in my very limited time here) on Aurora History Boutique; I found a Roman Lorica Hamata there with 6mm rings but there were no pictures... I didn't know if these fellows fell under the Museum Replicas or what... if you're unfamiliar with them, here's the link to the page... I've requested a real picture I'll post if they ever send it.

http://www.aurorahistoryboutique.com/R001018.htm
"Marcus Hortensius Castus"
or, to those interested,
"Kyle Horton"

formerly Horton III
It appears that their Segmentata is made by Museum Replicas; if so, I would assume that their Hamata is the same...and, they have the infamously aweful Greco-Roman Attic Helm

Ick.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure how much of their site is worthless, but I'd look elsewhere. Deepeeka is, through the help of many of this board, of increasing authenticity. I'd wait for those much more reputable on the subject to suggest someone to buy from, though. Otherwise, though, if you're of the kind, you could always make your own.
Brandon Shifflet
Hi Maius,

One of the things that is also confusing is the ORDER in which to acquire the kit.

This is what I recommend for my guys, along with some potential sources of supply:

http://www.11thlegion.com/id1.html

One final piece of advice is have patience -- I would order something that is right as opposed to something that you can get right now. If you don't love it, don't order or buy it. Whatever you do, plan on it taking awhile, especially for a custom order.

Regards and good luck.

Edge
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
Quote:I just purchased an Imperial Gallic G, AH6052-N and a Pompeii Gladius, AH4211 from SOTW

Should have gone for the AH4211'N' sword. The scabbard is a great deal more accurate.
[Image: DSC00067copy.jpg]
[Image: AH4211N.jpg]
[Image: DSC00066copy.jpg]
Acctually I went to the Deepeeka website and the Hamata appears to be the same as I found, except the price isn't listed... idk if they just posted the picture used by deepeeka or if deepeeka is their supplier.

http://www.deepeeka.com/store/comersus_ ... oduct=4102

EDIT: For the sake of keeping out double posts, I have another question-I am researching Legio X FRETENSIS, posted in Palestine... the reason being that I live in the deserts of New Mexico, and so wish to re-create a Roman Legionary in the desert. If anyone knows any good sites of reenactors portraying them (The ones I've found are shut down or the group disbanded) or any good books or articles regarding them, please let me know via pm or on here... thanks!
or, to those interested,
"Kyle Horton"

formerly Horton III
I'm not sure if "correct" is the best word unless perhaps you are talking about a particular group's standards. Some retail products are correct for some groups and not for others. The Deepeeka Corbridge segmentata are a classic example.

And there is certainly a great deal of junk being marketed as "Roman" so a huge wall of caution should envelope any purchase.

There are also grades of gear. Some makers have gear that's plain or has a "soldier grade" finish while another may have a similar item that's more adorned or highly polished.

You may also wish to contact Dean Cunningham. His Leg II is in your neighborhood. You also have Leg X in N CA. And Leg IX in N CA, and WA.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Salve, Kyle,
I checked out the link you gave about the hamata. I found no reason to think the hamata shown on their site was the proper one. Reason 1: price.
It's waaaay too cheap to be the better ones we know of. Reason 2: the description they give is a quote from Wickipedia and not from them. It's a generic description of "A" Roman hamata "NOT" the one they're selling.
If you found otherwise, then I didn't look closely enough.
Most RATters would recommend one of the custom made ones (I know,ouch$$) or the excellent one by Find-It. None are what I would call cheap but in this hobby cheap will buy you lots of regret later. Segs can be had at a lesser price.
Keep asking lots of questions before you spend. Folks here are very generous with advice.
Vale.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Salve Andy,
I found another at soul of the warrior... again, $275, a little more that also appears to be of deepeeka manufacture... does anyone have any experience with the deepeeka hamata? I know their helmets have gotten better, but I've not heard anything on the hamata. I don't want to buy the first, cheapest one I can, but I don't want to fall into the "more $$ is automatically better" trap either and needlessly spend more money than I have to. i.e. I want authentic as possible yet I'm on a budget...
Here's a close up of SOTW's hamata and other chain mail...

http://legvi.tripod.com/armamentarium/id227.html
or, to those interested,
"Kyle Horton"

formerly Horton III
I believe the Deepeeka hamatas are butted rings only. If that's the case you can buy a normal mail hauberk for much less and with a little effort make the doubler yourself out of the extra mail. Use the $100 saved to buy a little leather for it and still have money left. I assume you prefer the hamata to the segmentata then? The accuracy of these has improved greatly and are fine for the time period you want to portray. The cost is about the same.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Quote:It appears that their Segmentata is made by Museum Replicas; if so, I would assume that their Hamata is the same...and, they have the infamously aweful Greco-Roman Attic Helm

Concerning Museum Replicas products overall, such as the awful Greco Roman attic helmet… that helmet is all metal, made from brass, with designs, an attached crest, horse hair (could be synthetic), brass cheek guards, etc… (why they added the black plates to the cheek guards and the black stripe above the ear is anyones guess) my point is… the amount of workmanship and effort that it takes to make it SO WRONG could have been used to make it authentic. It takes just as much time to make it wrong as it does to make it right.

[Image: A000022.jpg]

Also, the MRL Windlass Roman Parazonium looks absolutely NOTHING like any of the Parazoniums in sculpture or the original one in London… again, it took time to make the blade, hilt, handle, scabbard, etc… why the heck don’t they just make it RIGHT???

This is not a Parazonium, dispite what MR claims:
[Image: 0401158_D_000.jpg]

This is an original Parazonium, with the work it took to make the 'thing' above, they could have just made this....
[Image: parazoniumagoraathens1a.jpg]

Anyways, my point is… stay away from MRL Windlass Museum Replicas. Spend your money once, and make as much of your kit yourself as you can. It’s the most fun, most satisfying and cheapest way to go.
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Thanks for your patience and advice, Andy...

I prefer the hamata because of the versatility (i.e. I can go from Auxiliary to Legionary without as much of a cost difference as I am going to make my own swords, scutum, etc).

I take it from what I've read that the more authentic suits of mail are one line riveted, one butted?
or, to those interested,
"Kyle Horton"

formerly Horton III

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Planning my first plywood Republican scutum, advice needed torongill 2 1,658 11-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: torongill
  Legionary Impression Julius Verax 5 1,457 10-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Julius Verax
  Advice needed on hispaniensis pommels........ Gaius Julius Caesar 7 2,127 04-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar