Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spelling of names in Latin
I noticed that on a lot of inscriptions, when a name ends on -us, or -ius, it is changed to -o. (f.e. Junius - Junio, Lucius - Lucio).

I remember reading something about names in Latin sometimes ending on -e, instead of (for example) -us (Brutus - Brute), but nothing about the -o.

Are there any specific rules for this?
Or was it just a common way to shorten names?
[size=75:18gu2k6n]- Roy Aarts[/size]
For example:

Licinius Licinio, meaning to/for Licinius, the dative case

In the second declension the vocative changes the ending to e:

Licinius Licinie!
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
-o also could be the ablative case of second declension nouns (e.g Gaius, Brutus, Servus, etc.) Ablative versions of those names would be Gaio, Bruto, Servo) It is the exact same form as the Dative but is not nearly as commonly used.

On inscriptions it is likely a Dative as mentioned above.

Edited to elaborate on case endings.
Michael Griffin
High School Teacher who knows Latin & Greek
felicior quam sus in stercu
Thanks for the answers Smile

Ran into another problem now though :? , I think I need to help of someone who speaks Dutch.
What is the Dutch variant of 2nd declension? I read the wikipedia article about it, but can't figure out what it is.
The wikipedia is not the place to look for reliable information. However, De Vooys' Nederlandse Spraakkunst is available here. Of course Medieval Dutch had only three cases, which correspond to Latin nominative/accusative (e.g., grond); genitive (gronds); and dative/ablative (gronde). The third case survives only in archaic expressions (ten gronde gaan; een morzel gronds), so we're left with a "normal form" and a genitive.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:The wikipedia is not the place to look for reliable information. However, De Vooys' Nederlandse Spraakkunst is available here. Of course Medieval Dutch had only three cases, which correspond to Latin nominative/accusative (e.g., grond); genitive (gronds); and dative/ablative (gronde). The third case survives only in archaic expressions (ten gronde gaan; een morzel gronds), so we're left with a "normal form" and a genitive.

Ah, I thought the second declension was one of the cases. Shows how much I know about Latin grammar :oops:

Let's see if I get this correctly Smile

to/for Licinius Licinio
(something was) given by Licinius Licinio

If you say something directly to someone, -us changes to -e, and -ius to -i (in that person's name).
Quote:to/for Licinius Licinio
Yes.
Quote:(something was) given by Licinius Licinio
It would be a Licinio.
Quote:If you say something directly to someone, -us changes to -e
Yes, compare "domine" (Dutch dominee) for "oh, master".
Jona Lendering
My website
Another question about Roman names Smile

What does L.F., M.F., C.F. and A.F. stand for?
I noticed it several times in listings on the names of consuls (don't think I've seen it under any other circumstances so far)

For example, from LacusCurtius, about book 37 of Cassius Dio:

Duration of time, six years, in which there were the following magistrates (consuls), here enumerated:—

B.C.
65 L. Aurelius M. F. Cotta, L. Manlius L. F. Torquatus.
64 L. Julius L. F. Caesar, C. Marcius C. F. Figulus.
63 M. Tullius M. F. Cicero, C. Antonius M. F.
62 D. Junius M. F. Silanus, L. Licinius L. F. Murena.
61 M. Pupius M. F. Piso, M. Valerius M. F. Messalla Niger.
60 L.Afranius A. F., Q. Caecilius Q. F. ºMetellus Celer.
Quote:What does L.F., M.F., C.F. and A.F. stand for?
Lucii filius = son of Lucius
Marci filius = son of Marcus
Caii filius = son of Caius
Auli filius = son of Aulus
Jona Lendering
My website
Ah, thanks Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient/Iron Age Tribal names....Latin or Local. 66kbm 12 3,856 12-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Urselius
  Correct spelling of Roman names - questions Sergey Lenkov 4 1,913 10-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Last Post: Tertius Mummius