Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philip of Macedonia Illustration
Hi Johnny,

I admire Your artwork since Your first pictures published here - but this is Your absolute master-piece. Not only did You paint the riders in the foreground in such a superb way but also the phalangites in the background. I like specially how You caught the spirit of the moment when just before a battle all troops are cheering their commander - the different facial expressions. Abolutely phantastic - a very big and fat laudes from me!!!

PS: a little question - Philipp's companions, did You think of specific characters and do we see here Your impression of (for instance) the black (-bearded) Kleitos or Parmenion?

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
BLOODY BRILLIANT Johnny, that´s by far the best I´ve seen of you so far! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
A beautiful illustration....... congratulations Johnny, not least for the obvious painstaking research.
One minor point , though. The archaeological sources, including detailed photos, indicate that there was no trace of a crest or crest attachment/holder.
Is there some source for this, or is it a little "artistic licence"?

Can anyone shed any light on this ???
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Hey,That's not true!There were two attachment fittings,one to the front and one to the back.The front one is just above the head of Athena.
Tere are some very detailed pics here in the forum,both of the ancient one and the reconstructionsi.It was just as Johny painted it.I don't have time to post now,but with a search I believe you'll find them.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Hi Giannis,

IMHO You are right - on the original the frontal attachment fixing seems to be rather corroded, the replica shows both fixings.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
To everyone:

Thanks for all the nice comments!

Of course I used "artistic license" in some areas. I always try to be as accurate as possible. The generals in the background would be Parmenio and Attalus. I'm always open for suggestions...

Thanks again!

Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Awesome work (yet again) Johnny! Big Grin
What coin are you talking about Gioi?Could you post it?I know the description of the helmet but I don't remember that coin...
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Oh yeah,I've seen the other,fighting against an Elephant,I think?
I wouldn't recognise him,even if I had seen the coin,though :lol:
Giannis K. Hoplite
So Alexander would have worn a Phrygian helmet instead of a Boeotian helmet?
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Thanks Gioi,
Now, what about that "lion helmet" from the sarcophagus..?
Fact or fiction...
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Plutarch stated that Alex wore an iron helmet?

I need to re-read Plutarch's biography!

I remember reading that Alex also wore a gorget. Perhaps one similar to a Scythian gorget...?

Johnny
Johnny Shumate
He he,I couldn't resist...you know...Alexander that is! :twisted:
[Image: porus_coin_revAlexander.jpg][Image: porus_coin_rev-Alexander-pa.jpg]
You know that some believe the finds from Vergina are Alexander's...Iron helmet and finds that are adentified as presents to Alexander from written sources...
The helmet in the photo above could even represent an actual lion head.It is far too small to be real,but in many coins Alexander is depicted as hercules with the lion skin.I'd say,Johny,go for another helmet.This is so famous and already painted by Connolly and all who copy him.
Khaire
Giannis

PS.What about Alexander against the Thebans in Khaironeia?But nah...I wan to see some Persians from you,too.Gaugamela is my vote.Or better,my vote is that you do two paintings... :lol: [/img]
Giannis K. Hoplite
Well, the secret is out: Alexander will be my next painting...

I'm going to need some help on his armour and clothing.

Iron helmet..?

Long sleeve tunic..?

Gorget..?

Please, your imput...

Johnny

PS-Giannis, great job on the colored coin..!
Johnny Shumate
[Image: porus_coin_rev-Alexander-pa.jpg][Image: porus_coin_revAlexander.jpg][Image: Iron.jpg]
No,it isn't Philip in the last picture.It'a just another version of Alexander.I avoid saying I totally agree or disagree with the idea...
Johny,I don't mean that I propose this panoply for Alexander.It's just another possible interpretation of the coin...
Still thinking on how you should paint Alexander...
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Macedonia before Philip II Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 2 1,946 02-22-2013, 12:25 AM
Last Post: Old Husker