Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally?
Quote:Question is can anyone recommend andy good sources (excluding the prohibitively expensive book by Mike Bishop - Sorry Mike my pockets just aren't that deep Cry )

£25 is prohibitively expensive!?! I can't be responsible for what secondhand dealers charge but the original book was priced to be within everyone's easy reach and not to make too big a loss! However, a solution may be at hand for those who do not have but would like a copy. Watch this space... ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
If one can't justify 25 quid for a decent book then one probably needs a different hobby. I have a row of books in my study and the rest are out in the library. None of the books I'm looking at cost much less than $100US and many cost considerably more. A few weeks ago I finally found a copy of Robinson's book for less than $200
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
If I could find it for £25 I'd buy it :!:

But £75 seems to be the going rate Confusedhock:

Quote:Posted: Mon 07 Jul 2008, 0:12 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If one can't justify 25 quid for a decent book then one probably needs a different hobby.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but that sort of comment makes this past time excessively elitist. This forum is a great leveller and gives people from all walks of life the opportunity to get involved in our passion by sharing info. It's great if you're in the fortunate enough position to buy fairly pricey books, but don't forget the significant investment that most re-enactors make in kit (I daren't even tot up my kit value - re-enactment would get a bit too real as the wfe crucified me Confusedhock: ). I am building a library of source books but it doesn't happen overnight and as £75 is nearly a weeks worth of shopping at the moment - eating comes first.
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix

Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Do you have a stockpile of these books Mike? I'll take one at £25! Confusedhock:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Do you have a stockpile of these books Mike? I'll take one at £25! Confusedhock:

No, but Oxbow do. I've just checked with them (by email, not just looking at the web page) and they reckon they have 25 in stock at the price of £25 - Amazon for some reason have not picked up on (or been told about) this and just have the over-priced £75 secondhand one listed.

When those 25 have gone that is the end of the print run and there will be no more... of that edition. Mike Thomas and I are now planning a second (revised and united) edition (although finding a publisher may be tricky - one such individual once told me 'no-one will ever publish a book entitled "Lorica Segmentata"', but then what do publishers know?). At the risk of undermining sales of the remaining copies of vol.1, there will be digital editions of both volumes shortly. So if you want it in hard copy, get it now; if you want it digitally, be patient. Expect an announcement in due course.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Mark

Just sent a PM

Hilary
I actually saw this the other day and for got to mention it (selfishly, as my wallet was in my room :oops: ) Darned, forgot it again...... :x roll:
I'll be too late now more than likely.....thanks for posting this though, I had forgot all about it!

Whew, had it after all, just ordered it!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,468 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Blade Cross Sections and Designs Pointer 10 2,292 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Augustus Janus
  Lower cross hanger under plate, designs? Titus Marius Secundus 7 2,758 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Crispvs