Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where can I get this book??
Any of our friends in the Netherlands know where I could lay my hands on this title??

"Willem Willems, Romans and Batavians. A Regional Study in the Dutch Eastern river Area (1986 Heerhugowaard)"

Many thanks,

Regards,
No. 46 on this site? Don't know if the link's still valid though, and not even sure if it's the article or a review of.
[url:35dlsct7]http://www.nvva.nl/gysbers/c00960.htm[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
The book's not even in the Bodleian Library! This is interesting, because the Dutch government pays a lot for translations and here we can see that a very important book (and yes, for once, this is indeed an important book) can still be ignored by one of the most important libraries in the world.

So I'm afraid that you must indeed try to obtain a copy from Holland. If Tarbicus' link does not work, just send me a PM and I will see if I can make a photocopy. It may take some time.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thanks Jim and Jona!

Regards,
46. Berichten van de Rijksdienst voor het Oudheidkundig Bodemonderzoek. Jrg. 31, 1981. 2 delen.
D.P. Hallewas; Archaeological Cartography between Marsdiep and IJ. W. J.H. Willems; Romans and Batavians, a Regional Study in the Dutch Eastern River Area I. etc. etc.

-> Bavarian State Library in Munich has it, too. Let me know if Jona can't get it and I will see if I can get you a copy...
Searching on COPAC ( http://copac.ac.uk/ ) there is a a copy in University College London Library. If you're close to London that might be a good option:

Main Author: Willems, W. J. H.
Title Details: Romans and Batavians : a regional study in the Dutch Eastern river area / door W.J.H. Willems
Publisher: [S.l. : s.n.], 1986
Note: Thesis (D.Litt) -- Amsterdam, 1986
Subject: Batavi (Germanic people)
Romans - Netherlands
Netherlands - Antiquities
Document Type: Thesis
Held by: UCL (University College London)

Very often you don't need to be a member of the library just to go and read, but check before you travel.

EDIT:

There's also a publication with a similar title and author, but earlier date, in the Society of Antiquaries Library, London. Details on their catalogue: http://sal.ads.ahds.ac.uk/
Quote:Searching on COPAC ( http://copac.ac.uk/ )

Viventius, you're a star! Big Grin I'd honestly never seen that before.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks Tarbie Big Grin COPAC doesn't include every single British academic library, but it covers most of the useful archaeological ones, so I often check out references there. If I can't find it on COPAC, often Soc Antiqs has it instead.
Many thanks to all! Big Grin

Regards,
Quote:The book's not even in the Bodleian Library! This is interesting, because the Dutch government pays a lot for translations and here we can see that a very important book (and yes, for once, this is indeed an important book) can still be ignored by one of the most important libraries in the world.

Hmm, you may be doing the Bod a slight disservice there, as its acquisition policy may not run to books not published outside the UK (which it gets by dint of the quaint legal deposit system) - it may not even have a budget for that. The Sackler (Ashmolean as was) is a much better bet but a quick hunt through OLIS didn't produce anything.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Ahem, the Bod/Sackler has bought many Dutch books on classics of far lesser quality. (I fondly recall how I could tell a friend that the Bod owned his thesis [not a bad book, BTW], how my friend was delighted, and how I could tease him by adding that it shared a shelve with an old copy of Nostradamus.)

Perhaps the explanation for the absence of the book by Willem Willems is that Oxford ancient historians are more internationally-minded than Oxford archaeologists? Is it possible that archaeologists are deterred by Dutch, whereas classicists, who are specialized in language, like the idea of reading another foreign book?

Anyhow, there are only a couple of Dutch historical studies that one really must read. I think that Huizinga's Waning of the Middle Ages is one of them; Dijksterhuis' Mechanization of the World Picture another. There are some good archaeological books; for ancient history, none, although reportedly there's a brilliant study on Rome's naval forces now being prepared at Nijmegen University. :wink:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I've found this, could it be useful?

THE DUTCH RIVER AREA. IMPERIAL POLICY AND RURAL
DEVELOPMENTS IN A LATE ROMAN FRONTIER ZONE

https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/dspace ... 53_086.pdf

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Thanks for that one!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)