Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to be hip in London 250AD?
Finally did what I wanted to do for a long time now - one of those monster sandals from the 3rd century. This one comes from London. No wonder you never see any reenactors walking around in those :-) )

[Image: LondonSolea_03.jpg]

[Image: LondonSolea_02.jpg]

[Image: LondonSolea_01.jpg]

Max length 29 cm, max width 16.cm.

Literature: Miller, Louise, John Schofield and Michael Rhodes: The Roman Quay at St Magnus House, London. Special Paper No. 8 of the London and Middlesex Archaeological Society 1986. p223.

Now I know how Donald Duck feels ....
They look very beautiful Martin,

But also look incredibly difficult to walk in! :wink: Are they?
Ah, a Micky Mouse sandal from the 3rd century! Well done Martin!!! Big Grin
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Wonder if this was made for someone with a deformity? I know I have seen some shoes from the Middle Ages that were made for people with deformed feet.

As always Martin fantastic work!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:Wonder if this was made for someone with a deformity?

Those sandals were pretty frequent in that time period.
Fashion... :roll:
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Perfect for someone with two left feet!

Gorgeous work - nice leather tooling too!
Gallus Marinus Micarius
a.k.a. Peter Van Rossum
LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB
FIDELITAS - - VIRTUS - - MAGNANIMITAS
Hi Martin,

Very nicely done! It does make you wonder though what prompted a fashion like this. Confusedhock:

BTW, I've working on a Commacchio style bag right now, I'll post a pic when I'm done.

Lucianus
L.E. Pearson
Quote:But also look incredibly difficult to walk in! Are they?

Actually no, pretty normal, rather. I was surprised myself. I didn't try tight circles, though :-) )
Hi Lucianus,

Quote:Very nicely done! It does make you wonder though what prompted a fashion like this.

Weren't the Germanic tribes stepping the Romans on their toes around that time? ;-) )

Quote:BTW, I've working on a Commacchio style bag right now, I'll post a pic when I'm done.

Looking forward to it!
Looking at the shape you'd think the toe-post would have been on the other side, then it would seem to follow the contours of the foot better.
I suppose just like us modern folk, they had their fashion victims too :lol:

But, anyhow, lovely work, Martin!
8)
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Could it be possible that this extra sole area flapping around was turned over the toes to protect them? Really weird and excellent work Confusedhock: !!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Nice, as usual!

A question. That kind of shoes are for women or for both women and men?
Quote:Could it be possible that this extra sole area flapping around was turned over the toes to protect them?

No, none of the finds bear any indication of that. Rather they are all just simply flat. It seems that the corner jutting out from the small toe developed from earlier models where the small toe was indicated in normal size.
Quote:A question. That kind of shoes are for women or for both women and men?

It is assumed that during the 3rd century wearing soleae style sandals got common for men as well.
For example the original from London e.g. now measures 24.6 cm in length. Generally leather is assumed to shrink about 10%, which would mean that the original was over 27cm, which is acceptable for a man's feet.
Beautifully done, Martin!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)