Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Hoplites-Illustration
Here are a couple of studies I did. Nothing special, just a little exercise on armour and weapons...
Johnny
http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpose/j ... ginal.aspx
Johnny Shumate
Congratulation...again!
The first one is an Italian hoplite,if I judge from the helmet?The second one o hoplite of the early 4th century?This was the period the pteruges started becoming longer.
I see you use the basic lines in both of them.I particilarly like the detail in the spot the shoulder guard joins the neck guard.
And the greaves are the same...A detail,in the back the greaves usually had a space between the two parts,allowing the greave to close as tightly as you want.I have seen them joining like you did in some vase paintings,but I think it's more realistic not to.
The scabard of the sword reminds me Matt Amt's.The sword is accurate,but in that period both the swords and scabards changed slightly.Try using Philips sword as a model.Also in sculptures and in vase paintings they have the same characteristics.
You really become better and better in lighting!I love the coloring of the arm of the right hoplite.And both arms and hands of the left,as if the sun hits him from the front/left,making the muscles more clear!
I'm not sure ar all about what I'm going to say,just a thought...
Doesn't bronze have a more redish shadow?Such yellow colour looks a bit more like brass.Of course color of polished metal depends of the environment,but I just have this impression from the camarison with bronze and brass.
But I love the lightning,especially the rim of the right hoplite's aspis.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Woooow! :lol: Super!... lauds!

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Fantastic! It is great to see such detail in hoplites from different angles. Please send along more! (I'm not greedy... Big Grin )
looking good!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Nice, could have been any 4th century mercenaries.
Kind regards
Quote:Here are a couple of studies I did. Nothing special, just a little exercise on armour and weapons...
Johnny
http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpose/j ... ginal.aspx

Yeah! Nothing special!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice work again Johnny!

I see you depict 2 handholds on the spear! But not the notorious 'over-the shoulder' one! I take it that has been officially poo-pooed?

Edit : I suppose the one on the right is actually a variation on the O-T-S hold on closer examination. Sorry!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
If the hoplite was doing ekdromos duty (i.e. running of skirmishers) the under arm thrust is better. Practical experience in the phalanx reconstruction favors overarm thrusting with properly balanced spears.
Kind regards
That sounds plausable to me too! I had just heard/read a few articles trying to knock the overhand method as unplausible. I can see the argument for and logic of your point!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Giannis, just a note on 'colour of bronze' you mentioned earlier.......
Whilst modern bronze is more reddish in colour, ancient bronze was very pure and more 'brass-like' in colour..... you have only to look at the colour of the magnificent late Corinthian helmet you and your colleagues were discussing on another thread with respect to shape and back views...definitely a brass colour !

Congrats again, Johnny, on two more great illustrations - the composition and viewpoint is a refreshing change from the 'norm'.Been looking at your work since seeing your reconstruction of the Kazanluk tomb paintings......that was a few years ago now, though !
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Paul, the Greek bronze could be "goldish" in colour in some "production zones". Naxian copper smiths made use of the arsenic (Ar) of Kythnos.
Some museum samples were analysed by the University of Athens.
See our artisitc reconstruction in the Greek Artwork thread.
We can hardly speak about "bronze colour uniformity".

Kind regards