Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romanarmy.com Downtime
Hi all,
If you're anyway near as addicted to Romanarmy.com & Romanarmytalk as some of us are, you'll have discovered the site was down for several days.
To be more correct, the site / server itself was not down, it was just unreachable because of a misconfiguration in our DNS records.
A subtle difference, but it means this problem was not caused by our host - just to stifle any calls for 'new host!' up front.

Anyways, long story short, we're back and I hope you had a good time reading Ancient Warfare magazine (What? Not subscribed yet? Well, that's what you get!) or a good book, going to a reenactment event, working on some new kit, or doing something totally not related to Romanarmy.com. Diversity is the spice of life, but now you can come back to your favorite online haunt with a vengeance!

PS: because of the unreachability of the domain, I could not read my email either. So apologies for the lack of response there.
In future, if Romanarmy.com seems down and you absolutely need to reach me, go through ancient-warfare.com and contact me from that site.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:I hope you had a good time reading Ancient Warfare magazine (What? Not subscribed yet? Well, that's what you get!)

Ah, I'm sure the downtime was planned to drum up interest in the magazine...well it worked, I'm getting a subscription :wink:

Very pleased the site is back anyway!
Lee
(Lucius)

Legio V Alaudae (Europe)
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.alaudae.eu/">http://www.alaudae.eu/
I've been suffering withdrawl symptoms! In reality i've been getting lot's of stuff sorted out for the arrival of my new bow Big Grin
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
glad that we're back!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
We're back? Were we gone then? :roll:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
i couldn't reach RAT for several days! (the horror, the horror)
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Sure Robert, play Mr. Innocent. I've had a slew of emails, but only two people called me on the phone about RAT. One is on a trip to Greece... :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Sure Robert, play Mr. Innocent. I've had a slew of emails, but only two people called me on the phone about RAT. One is on a trip to Greece... :wink:
I AM innocent! Big Grin twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
RAT went 'off- air' last thursday! You, Valerius/Robert, and some others who were '.nl' rather than '.com' were O.K but most were out of the loop - as was obvious from the dearth of posts.
Some of us eventually found our way to the site via'.nl', but despite some handy hints from Tarbicus and others, most (like me ! ) were still unable to post or log on.
Still, no grumbles, ......just nice to have RAT functioning again, but I notice some of the notifications still seem to be at fault...if you try to use the link, it comes up " no such topic" even when the topic is there.... so still a glitch or two to look at ....sorry Jasper !
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:I notice some of the notifications
That's too mysterious for me to investigate Paul. Can you enlighten me?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Sorry Jasper.
I'll elaborate. When 'watching' a thread, an e-mail comes through headed "topic reply notification" - you are receiving this etc. It contains a link to make it easy to go straight from yr e-mail 'in-box' to the thread in question.
As an example, I got one of these for the thread "Philip of Macedonia illustration". On clicking on the link, instead of taking you there the link comes up with the message"no such topic", though obviously you wouldn't get the notification if it didn't exist ! Further, the thread can be accessed by going through the site index.
Hope this explains what I was referring to......

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Hi Paul,
Well, I knew how the notification system works.:wink: However, you'll have to give me the actual link from your notification for me to be able to see what's wrong.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Hi Jasper, I have simply cut-and-pasted the whole message - this was not the only non-functional link I received, merely an example. Some links worked O.K. - regards, Paul

" Hello,

You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "Philip of Macedonia Illustration" at Roman Army Talk. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 270#147270

If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the "Stop watching this topic link" found at the bottom of the topic above, or by clicking the following link:

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... atch=topic

--
Questions & suggestions: email the board administration at [email protected] "

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Hi Paul,
Well, it does indeed seem as if the first link leads nowhere. Of course, it is possible that someone posted something, and then deleted the post before you had the chance to take a look at it.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I have my doubts that a deletion is the problem - for one thing, the reply says the topic doesn't exist, and it occurs for several threads, not just one........

Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Downtime RAT 3 Oct Praefectusclassis 2 1,605 02-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis