Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deepeeka\'s new Gallic and Itallic helms...Issues?
I just got my Gallic F this week...well, my g/f has it at home. Apparently most of the new deepeeka helmets suffer not from authenticity issues, but construction ones. I am planning on doing a full review on it when I get home this week-end, and taking a lot of pics. I'd welcome any other comments and pictures from people who have recently purchased any of the "steel" Itallic or Gallic helmets.

Legion: TBD
I have the gallic G and the Itallic D.

both have been complimented and complained about many times on here.
Mostly fit and finish problems, such as the welded seam join at the back.
:roll:

Look forward to seeing your photos! I take it you haven't tried it on yet then?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
My comments on the steel helmets and their inadequacies and innacuracies have already been sent off to Deepeeka.

See this thread..
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 124#147124
Do you have the brass Neidermormter in stock Peronis?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Who cares about their Gallic helmets - how about when they finally start altering their Late Roman helmets! Big Grin

No, cheek plates don't count, well, hardly.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
:lol: seems they are as concerned about late helmets as the Romans were LOL
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Not just cheek plates Robert! :wink:

The neck guards were reduced too! The placement of the attachment rivets, and the decorations refined too. (on the intercisa helms)

I think that Deepeeka may have halted development work just for now, but they have the plans from Aitor for the Inter IV and hopefully we'll see an improved version of that one along with the Burgh and Duerne too.
Hi gents long time no type have been a sicky,

I have two. The italic "G' Hebron and the new gallic "G" with crest.

The gallic item seems ok save very rough hinges. I have lubed them but to no avail. The italic has problems with the brass piping around the cheek guards. It pops off and was obviously not properly hammered on. The cross bars also do not hug the dome of the bowl they have a considerable degree of light showing under them. Seeing as how the extant ones are not accurate as in the original I will eventually replace them anyway.

When one purchases a supposedly finished item the buyer should be able to appreciate it's positives rather than resent the negatives and it does represent a sizable cash outlay. Over all I am not terribly unhappy but I believe the workmanship falls a little below the mark.

Cheers all!

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
Anyone else remember when the deepeeka helms were $325 and not very authentic, but were the best we had for under $800???

Now they are $175, much more accurate than ever before, and...???

If you want perfect, go custom. For the price, Deepeeka helms are very accurate and a great value. There is significant cost to redesign and such that deepeeka has absorbed with NO price increase to us, and we (your deepeeka suppliers) have already voiced complaints on the construction issues. I am sure they will get better. I am also sure they will never be A) Free or B) Perfect.
Right with you there, Rusty !
As I have said elsewhere, Deepeeka have allowed Roman re-enactment to come within the reach of many who could just drool at the custom-made stuff before (such as me! ).
And until two "identical" Roman helmets are found ( not yet AFIK ), quibbles about minor 'inaccuracies' are just that, quibbles ! No two Roman helmets were alike !
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Aside from the weld seam and the occipital lengths on a FEW helmets, I like the dodgy bits like imperfect edging, etc. No way I'd be willing to fork out for all-custom kit. When it comes to the fine detail like intricacy of detail work, it's a great opportunity to get stuck in without needing a blacksmith's setup in the house to make the main piece.

As a suggestion - if you're going to review a helmet and find it fits or doesn't fit, maybe it's worth taking full measurements of your own head and put them in the review at the very beginning.

Front > Back
Side > Side
Eyebrow > Top of Crown
Forehead sloped or flat

That way, others should be able to judge more objectively whether the helm will fit their own noggin.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
SALVE!

Gaius Julius Caesar!!

Have missed you mate! How goes it??

Titus

Regards and remember it takes two hands to handle a coleus!!
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
better now my friend
new job, still on trial period, but hopefully will turn into something longer term! Big Grin
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron thanks for that. I have every confidence/faith in you that you can achieve anything you seek out. Yer a sharp cookie and more than that DETERMINED!

I wish you all good things mate and I know your new calling will be well answered.

Be Well!

Rick
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
I don't wish to sound ungrateful but I feel I should add a comment here since we're talking about production flaws. My gallic "g" which I have worn exclusively since it's arrival had some very disturbing metal quality issues.
There were holes on it which were very poorly filled and left somewhat unfinished and at the browguard a long slash left untouched that was sort-of covered by the guard. I let these things go for the reasons stated by others( better than they used to be/ if you want quality you should buy custom,etc.) Also, I used the "happened in combat/field repair" rationale
but that still doesn't help my disappointment. Mine looked like it was made from scraps left over. Maybe this helps to keep costs down.
I hadn't intended to say anything but since the can of worms had been opened..........(a nasty place on the neckguard of my Monte, too, that looks like they ran out of brass to fill the gap-but that for another time.)
Did I mention that for whatever minor acuracy flaws my earlier "H" had none of these issues?
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Gallic F, Reshape? mroberts02 1 801 06-13-2021, 09:19 AM
Last Post: franciscus
  Deepeeka Imperial Italic D vs Gallic G Helmet Cheek Guard lenghts wwiigunz 0 1,189 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: wwiigunz
  Deepeeka Gallic a ah6306n Romulus 11 5,082 02-22-2017, 10:42 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake