Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig
The bowl's too square? Lovely helmet, the eyebrows are certainly improved.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Munazio,

Again, it is a gross statement to say Erik is the best in the world. Have you looked at Micahel Simmkins work?

Have you ever seen Brian Stobbs work; the list goes on.

Again we all agree that Erik's work is excellent.

The helmet you posted is beautiful no doubt.

Do you happen to have pictures of the Gallic D Erik made. I would like to see how it looks since another excellent Gallic D by Brain Stobbs was posted here on RAT some time back.

Thank and good luck with your beautiful helmet.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
That is a nice helmet to be sure! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
avete Omnes

For me Erik is the best,is my opinion if you are not agree not problem.

Erik do helmets from one piece of metal and not like mostly like Stobbs from different parts salded.

after you said me "we all agree that Erik's work is excellent"...how many person you are....I speack for myself....you?

when the other armourer will be able to make roman helmets from one piece of metal will be possible to compare they work whit the work of Erik Konig.

valete
PierPaolo siercovich
But it still looks like the bowl is too square. No offence, the work is great, but there's room for improvement still.

Just being objective.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Munazio,

The we I am talking about is those of us on RAT that have seen Erik's work.

Now as far as your comment of how others solder the helmet parts together there are things you should know. For one thing some armorers do not have the work area, faciltiy, etc that Erik does and so have to resort to other methods. This has nothing to do with their skill which is what you are implying by saying Stobbs helmets are from more than one piece.

Brain Stobbs can make a helmet in one part, two parts, or any parts and it would still be equal if not better than Erik's.

As Tarbicus points out, the bowl is too square. So what good is all the technique accuracy in making the helmet like the original out of one piece when it still obviously has issues. Do you not think that the final overall appearence of the helmet is ultimatley the most important. Besides no one will see how the helmet is manufactured. This is true even for the helmets with welded parts "IF" the welds are cleaned up properly.

Now again the helmet is beautiful no question. But do not pass judgement on other armorers so quickly.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Gentlement...let's not have this turn into a "My dad can beat up your dad" thread.

There is no problem with boasting of a particular smith's work, but no-one is perfect. Let's not be arrogant and say so. 8)

Legion: TBD
avete

this is good in the discussione between educate persons,evrybody have one idea and everybody respect the idea of an other.

I had one pugio of Stobbs and I selled (I had one topic one marketplace some years ago) In MY opinion his work is not accurate like Erik work.

is MY OPINION after if you tell me that stobbs is able to do helmets in one part this is new information for me and I thank you very much for this information. But please...please don't speack that if I expleine my opinion only because is deifferent of your opinion is arrogance.

After remember that I am Pretorian so I have to be a few arrogance... Big Grin
:wink:
valete
PierPaolo siercovich
Munazio, I just explianed that I didn't want this turning into a pissing match...and then your next post is full of more Erik Konig propaganda. Putting "my opinion" in front of potentialy angering statements doesn't make them ok.

A bit of humility goes a long way. Praetorian or not. 8)

Legion: TBD
I have been folowing this thread and it appears to me it gets as heated as some of my comments, however I do consider that I must intervine for I have just read that Pier Paolo has made reference to having had one of my daggers. I would very much like him to please explain which dagger and indeed from where he got it nothing more. There have been many people over the years who some times with there wonderfull comments about my work have made me feel so humble. I do have to say however that to see my Gallic D helmet on RAT was one hell of a boost for me. For myself having been a Roman armourer for 30years now, I do not put down any other artist, nor indeed would I think any other would do that to me. We all live in the same world, let us all just have our share of the sunshine. A M
Brian Stobbs
Munazio,

You are correct we all have our opinions and it is a good thing to share them since we can learn from them.

Since the Helmet you posted is excellent, do you happen to have the Gallic D Erik made?

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My new Gallic helmet! LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 16 3,670 06-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Lucius Petilius Remo
  Later Roman knife by Erik Konig Peroni 8 3,410 12-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Last Post: John Conyard
  New Roman Reublican items from Erik Konig Mark Headlee 8 2,738 04-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar