Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig
My friend who had the Gallic D helmet made by Brian Stobbs can answer Pierpaolo's question since he knows Brian Stobbs better than I do. Here it is:

I believe that it depends on the helmet. Some of his helmets are made from one piece. :wink:

Even Michael Simkins makes his helmets out of 2 parts Confusedhock: yet many people crave to have a helmet from him.

Some of Simkins work as well as Stobbs' is in museums. That is not to say that their work is necessarily the ultimate but it is highly regarded if you consider that they have been doing this for more than 20 years. Confusedhock:

Nonethless, what real difference does it make if in the end the final product looks and functions like the original. Unless you go around telling people that the helmet is made from multiple parts. If asked an explanation can be given which is that Mr. Stobbs does not have a forge and if he did, his helmets would still be just as good.

Also I believe that everyone agrees that the Gallic F made for you is very good, the issue is the eyebrows not the construction. The eyebrows on my helmet are not added after, they are beaten out and as most would agree on this forum they do look like the originals on the photo.

Furthermore, if a helmet is made from one piece however, and it does not do the original justice what is the use.

Thus the following must be implied. "I have a Gallic G made exactly like the original one in the musuem but it does not look like it". :?

Of course this does not necessarily apply to your helmet but it does address your comment.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Your getting a mainz 'I' custom made Mark? You lucky dog!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron,

I'm getting this one made. I sent my measurements to Erik a few weeks ago and I believe the helm should be here in September or October.When my kit arrives from Matt Lukes I'll post pics of the entire rig...
Roman Name: Gaius Marcius Gracilis

AKA: Mark Headlee
Ahh ok, got confused by the I I guess! I remember you saying you were getting it now! :roll: That is the one I like of his too!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
From what Ira has told me she and Erik are expanding their line to over 400 items...including many new helmets.

Yea, I can't wait until it arrives. The wait should not be bad, only three - four months. I'll keep all posted on the progress of the helmet and offer a review when it comes from Germany!

Cant wait to see their expanded line of helmets too! Tongue
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It's a beautiful piece as is anything Erik and Ira produce, but I agree with everyone else who points out the eyebrows need improving. I only say that as it seems they're creating such a large amount of helmets.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Munazio is totally right - Erik and Ira Koenigs' handcraft is above every suspicion. While reading the posts you get almost the opinion, there are guys, who just want to denigrate Erik's work. For my opinion there are only few equipment-producers worldwide, whose products are equal to the high-quality staff from the Aurificina Treverica. It's an huge difference between a fair comment and utterances like "too bad for so many bucks". Apart from the fact, that there always people who go green with envy, we never shoould forget who many hours of work have to be invested in the creation of such an helmet from one piece. If you compare the hourly rates from other handcrafts in Germany, you will see that his products prices are more than adequate in a country, where a car mechanics earns 100-120 € an hour. Of course Deepeeka products are much more cheaper - i bought a lot of them - but they are only good look-a-likes, Eriks products whether miilitary ones nor civilian stuff are highly authentic.
Ave,

That is the reason I decided to invest a good amount of money into a helmet from Erik. Its not only a "re-enactment" piece, but a piece of art invevsted with time, tallent, and research!!!!

Can't wait until it arrives!!!!

Ave,

The helmet in the second photograph looks far better than the helmet in the first, the eyebrows look much more correct in the second example, it has much more of a 'Roman Style', was the design updated with the ear guards dropped and feathers added or are these two different makers?

First example (eyebrows way out of place):
[Image: t_203246090707_helm_013_180.jpg]

Second example (eyebrows look correct)
[Image: t_194014070507_bijoux_026_533.jpg]
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Regarding Bocchus' comments. I agree that Erik's work is excellent however, this does not mean that he is beyond critisism.

Furthermore, critisism does not mean that envy is necessairly involved. This whole thing is getting blown out of proportion.

No helmet produced will ever be perfect since the originals themselves were not perfect either and in some respect, modern copies are sometimes too perfect.

Again the issue is the eyebrows. So what its just one item. There are other pieces out there by custom armorers who are grossly inaccurate however, out of respect for them I will not point out whom.

Mark it is true that it is an investment of all the things you said. However, if you are going to point out research it is within reason to assume that if the necessary pitures and data are avilable then there should not be any excuse if something produced by an experienced armorer has gross errors in it.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Ave Paolo,

You said

Quote:Erik's work is excellent however, this does not mean that he is beyond critisism.

No helmet produced will ever be perfect since the originals themselves were not perfect

There are other pieces out there by custom armorers who are grossly inaccurate.

Your points are correct, or at least I basically agree with what you said. However, if the second example is from the same maker, than he has greatly improved his design.

I've never been one to insist on a ‘dead-on-balls-accurate’ copy of an original item, most every original item varied somewhat but, there is a general design, call it a “Roman Styleâ€
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Quote:While reading the posts you get almost the opinion, there are guys, who just want to denigrate Erik's work....
...Apart from the fact, that there always people who go green with envy, we never shoould forget who many hours of work have to be invested in the creation of such an helmet from one piece.
First off, be clear that I highly recommend Erik's work, and have myself spent money on belt plates from him. His workmanship is superb.

Erik's work is admired by all, and I'll go so far as to say that everyone who has commented on the eyebrows probably admires his work greatly. But he's not above comment, just as anyone else making equipment isn't either. There's no envy or taking potshots.

For future helmets, they would be well advised to watch how they form the eyebrows. I don't say that to denigrate his work, as you so eloquently put it, but to offer a constructive comment in light of the fact that they will be making more helmets.

Here's the original Gallic F with an excellent view of the eyebrows.
http://www.armae.com/Actualitesetmanuel ... allicF.htm

If the buyer isn't worried about that, fine. I don't care that's for sure. But don't make posts that insult people who have a constructive comment to make that will simply improve what Erik and Ira do. Not criticising doesn't help them whatsoever.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Ave,

Doc, I do agree with you on the "research" aspect of recreating and "getting it right". When I was involved in sewing American Civil War uniforms I took extra caution to be sure I was recreating the items as close to the original as possible (hand sewing measured in yards, hand dyed cloth, etc...), but I did have my limits, in both time, money, and skill.... Big Grin With the information (both research and documentation) Erik and Ira have given me I am confident the helmet they are making for me will be spot on and and I will have no issues...

As for the brows of the first helmet...has anyone considered asking Erik why he chose that style and did not copy any certain original. I may be speaking out of turn, but as the saying goes it would be good to hear it "straight from the horses mouth"... :roll:

Hey Jim who made that helmet! They didn't even bother to put the silver all the way across the brow band!! Confusedhock: Bloody shoddy workmanship!! :lol:

But to be serious, I don't think anyone here is knocking his workmanship at all! As is pointed out, criticism of work, can only help!

I would prefer the secong helmet over the first out of the two pics posted by Anthony, and that is just because it 'looks' the better of the two to me, and the eyebrow style is a large part of that look!

I look forward maybe one day to own one of his pieces! Awesome work, but not keen on that eyebrow style at all! No offense ment!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My new Gallic helmet! LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 16 3,670 06-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Lucius Petilius Remo
  Later Roman knife by Erik Konig Peroni 8 3,410 12-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Last Post: John Conyard
  New Roman Reublican items from Erik Konig Mark Headlee 8 2,738 04-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar