Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Titles Princeps and Imperator
I'm aware that Roman generals were hailed as 'Imperator' long before the term 'emperor' was used for the ruler of the Roman Empire. Augustus took the title Princeps. When did Emperor/Imperator come to mean Princeps/ruler of the empire? <p></p><i></i>
On Imperator to Princeps<br>
<br>
I think this is right<br>
<br>
When Augustus came into power he did a lot of things in attempts to get the Senate and the people on side, because he did not want to rule with the army alone. The title of Princeps was one. Although it strictly means first amoung many, Princeps was meant to be a title bestowed and endorsed by the people and the Senate, so allowing Augie to get the people and Senate onside.<br>
<br>
However, no one would NOT endorse the title when it was against someone with the power Augustus wielded, so it really ended up being the principle of the thing. One more thing to advertise the power he had to his people and enemies.<br>
<br>
Althoguh strictly the Julio-Claudian Emperor's were Imperators (meaning leader or greater than leader) throughout, the title Princeps was more commonly used because<br>
a) it was a title bestowed, rather than self-endorsed.<br>
b) It had more political possibilities, as an indication of power.<br>
<br>
Augustus promoted Princeps over Imperator and so Imperator was lost over the years.<br>
<br>
I think that sort of answers your question. I only stumbled on it doing some research. I hope I was able to help in some way.<br>
<br>
DarkLady <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
The title did not exactly take on the meaning of <em>princeps</em>, but <em>imperator</em> and <em>princeps</em> came to be exclusively applied to the emperor(s) or intended successor(s), <em>Imperator</em> being even adopted as the <em>praenomen</em>. These titles were used next to one another and were both employed during the republic as well. They became however the virtual monopoly of the emperors during the empire. Acclamations as <em>imperator</em> were given to those who held the ultimate responsibility, and as all campaigns were under the <em>auspicia</em> of the emperor or heirs designate only they received them. The title of <em>princeps</em> had been in use in the republic as well for the foremost senator, during the empire it was the preserve of the emperor whose power and prestige eclipsed that of his fellow senators by a considerable margin.<br>
<br>
For all matters concerning emperors and military affairs:<br>
<br>
Campbell, B., <em>The emperor and the Roman army 31BC-AD235</em> (Oxford 1984) 468p.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>