Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Attic Helmet
I wanted to use actual Roman motif with real symbolism on my visor and crest, as opposed to just a bunch of fancy lines or ornamental shapes or making something up.

Visor

1. After the edging work, I based an eagle, the Roman symbol of their supreme god Jupiter, on the one worn on Emperor Marcus Aurelius' armor (later than my impression's time period I know but, it is an authentic Roman Eagle); first drawing it with a Sharpe, edging it out with the small embossing tool, embossing the feathers, then adding details and more details.

2. Flanking the Eagle I embossed Roman Pole Standards, such as those found on Trajan's column.

3. I added Roman style thunderbolts/lightening bolts

[Image: 3visormotif.jpg]

4. I then added Roman victory laurel wreaths, such as those found on Roman coins and the Augustus statue platform above which reads "VICT AVG" (Victory Augustus) however; for my impression "VICT MAR" (Victory Gaius Marius) & "VICT CAE" (Victory Julius Caesar) seemed more fitting. Lastly, I added more vines around the eagle.

5. I added Roman style acanthus motif vines and decorated the disks of the visor as well.

Crest

1. I started with the Goddess Fortuna's primary symbol... her Cornucopia (horn of plenty).

2. I followed the Cornucopia with a simpulum, sprinkler, axe, and apex which were the emblems of the pontificate Julius Caesar as evidenced on reverse of his Elephant Denarius coin minted between 49 & 48 BC. I also added vines and copied the stars from the Mainz Gladius example above to fill in the blank spots.

3. I added four victory wreaths, like the Augustus example

[Image: 8crestmotif.jpg]

4. Next, I based the two standards and legionary eagle on the ones from Marc Anthony's Battle of Actium coin minted in 31 BC as payment to his legions.

5. Lastly, I added a Roman War Ship but, I decided not to use Antony's, instead I choose this 1st Century BC Roman Galleon with it's mast and sails extended; note Fortune is guiding the ship to victory.

6. For the front of the Crest I chose a bust of the Roman Goddess Fortuna (the Goddess of luck and good fortune)

7. For the back, I chose the Temple of Jupiter based on the reverse of this Petillius Capitolinus, AR Denarius coin, minted in 43BC in Rome
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]

Messages In This Thread
Roman Attic Helmet - by AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs - 07-19-2007, 03:55 AM
Re: Roman Attic Helmet - by AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs - 07-19-2007, 04:04 AM
Re: Roman Attic Helmet - by caiusbeerquitius - 07-24-2007, 08:14 AM