Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to pronounce "Celt"?
How does one pronounce “Celt”? Is it with a hard “c” or a soft “c”? I see in dictionaries that either pronunciation is accepted, but I’ve heard some persuasive arguments that it should always be a hard “c” – “Kelt”. An Irish friend once told me that it was always a hard “c” except for sports franchises, and then it was soft, so “Seltics.”

Is there a definitive answer?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:How does one pronounce “Celt”?
Isn't this the same discussion as "Sisero or Kikero, Seesar or Kaisar"? In other words, isn't this the debate between an early and a late pronounciation of the same language?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:An Irish friend once told me that it was always a hard “c” except for sports franchises, and then it was soft, so “Seltics.”

Is there a definitive answer?

Your friend was right - always a hard K. Greek Keltoi and Roman Celtae were both 'hard', and the modern 'Celt' is likewise. The confusion comes mainly from the Glasgow Irish/Catholic football club Celtic, pronounced 'Seltic', which was named back in the nineteenth century and maintains the mispronunciation. This has carried over into various other sporting names - racehorses etc.

There's a rather rude story (which perhaps I shouldn't repeat here :!: ) about the Welsh actor Richard Burton - while at a party in Hollywood, he was approached by an over-familiar Irish American, who explained that he too was a Selt. Burton replied something along the lines of 'No, I'm a Celt. You're a Sunt.' :wink:

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Quote:Isn't this the same discussion as "Sisero or Kikero, Seesar or Kaisar"?
A variation thereof. UK archaeologists always say "Keltic", ... perhaps simply to draw a distinction with the football team?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Quote:Isn't this the same discussion as "Sisero or Kikero, Seesar or Kaisar"? In other words, isn't this the debate between an early and a late pronounciation of the same language?
I had no idea what you were talking about until I did some internet searches. (I never studied Latin, unfortunately.) Quite interesting!
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
oh darn, I thought it was pronounced "kelt" as in "kilt", an abbreviation of "killed"

since the only good Kelt has been Kilt.

Oooh! Zing! Just Kidding!! :mrgreen:
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:oh darn, I thought it was pronounced "kelt" as in "kilt", an abbreviation of "killed"

since the only good Kelt has been Kilt.

Oooh! Zing! Just Kidding!! :mrgreen:

Hey, Andy

Didn't know you were on these threads. Kelt it is, just as Caesar was pronounced "Kaesar"... which led to the Germanic "Kaisar."

The "guy from Maine"
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
AJ - It's all good, bro - I was just making a silly joke. I'm well aware of the pronunciation Big Grin

Good to see you here on the board, too.. Mighty Third and it's Auxiliaries taking over RAT! Muahahah! Big Grin
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:"Sisero or Kikero, Seesar or Kaisar"?

I've just about adapted to Markellus, Lukius and Kaekilius, pronunciation-wise, but somehow Kikero and Yulius Kaiser don't really work for me.

As for that 'Weni, Widi, Wiki' stuff... all a bit too 'Biggus Dickus', if you know what I mean Smile
Nathan Ross
Of course. Otherwise you'd be "Pwimus Piwus" of the Judean Wiberation Suicide Squad. :lol:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb