Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next fashion trend: togas?
An over-sized, over-long Tshirt is pretty close to an off the rack modern tunic. Girls wear them as sleepwear. For those of us not at the Conference, Graham, could you show us an example of the tunics you're talking about?

And Evan, I don't think there would be any problem in many parts of the country if you wore a tunic today. Some would shrug, some would ignore you, but some might think it a good idea. More comfortable than a kilt. Notice how the Utili-Kilt has made its place? Short fashion hop to a tunic, laddie.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
When I have enough money I'm gonna have a Tunic for every day of the week. I'll stop wearing modern clothes altogether.

I'll still wear pants though.
Hi David

I thought these two images put across the point I was trying to make quite nicely. Note the draped dress and stylish Italian footwear and the woman is wearing virtually the same! With Clavi! Smile

Graham.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Yes, I get what you're saying. The (very cute) model has her draped cloth almost just like the Roman in the sculpture. She, however, has it sewn in place. His was somehow draped in another manner. Some have suggested two fibulae to pin the cloth up and force the wrinkles/draped cloth to stay.

I've fiddled with that, more than once, and very unsuccessfully. I plan a tunic made from tropical weight men's suiting wool. That seems to be about the right weight. Then it's a matter of mushing it up the right way, and probably holding it down with a fascia ventralis under the belt. Someday.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Considering real togas were four feet wide and about twenty six feet long, I'll stick with my chlamys. I'm more of a Greek guy myself.