Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Bridle Bits
As part of my research into Roman cavalry and the three year quest for the perfect saddle, I received a major element to assist with my research today.

A HUGE thank you to Robert Wimmers and his blood, sweat and tears in making these fabulous bits for me. For the smiths amongst you, I am sure Robert will answer any questions you may have on how they were made. For me, even after a few hours of having them in my hands, their relationship - or not - to the saddle design is worth so much more now I can handle them and see how they would work in the horse's mouth.

One of them I am not so sure is a bit at all, which then begs the question what it is. Two of them I firmly believe are driving bits for other equids or even oxen. The final two curb bits, the one from Newstead (which should be well known to cavalry enthusiasts) and the other from Nijmegen may look like severe pieces of kit, but I would remind riders and non riders alike that it is not the bit which is severe, but the hand holding the rein.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
...and in the same post I received my bridle decorations from Brian (plus some glorious extras!)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Looks very good, Moi! Good luck with your research.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Given the use of notoriously stuborn mules by the army, perhaps the Newstead snaffle bit (nicknamed "the Twister") could have been used for them as driving bits, given there is only two rings? Oh well, what do I know, I just hit hot iron :-)
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
No, I reckon you are right, and the other, flat tongued bit is for the same reason.

I am really curious about the other one though - what else could it be from is it is not a bit for an animal's mouth?
Moi Watson

Yeah I've heard that the way horses' bits worked back then was a little cruel. Of course though its like a sword or a gun - not a weapon until it's used as one. A choice of the rider to be cruel, not the bit.

Which one is the one you are doubtful is even a bit? It's either the first or the second one I think (the second one looks more like a bear trap than a bit...)
It is the first one, Evan. The second one is also probably a driving bit.
Moi Watson

Quote:Yeah I've heard that the way horses' bits worked back then was a little cruel. Of course though its like a sword or a gun - not a weapon until it's used as one. A choice of the rider to be cruel, not the bit.

Without getting too philosphocal, a sword or gun is intended to be used for violence, a bridle bit is not:

.“Lightness is not the bit; lightness is the outcome of an athletic development and a coordination of the horse physique allowing superior body control. Lightness involves the legs, the seat, the hands and above all, the brain.” Jean Luc Cornille
Moi Watson

Hi all
Firstly I agree with Evan that the second one looks like a bear trap.....nasty.
Secondly, nice bits Moi, thank you for displaying them for all of us to see.
Thirdly, the first pic is missing the caption..........."Is something missing in Your love life"
Kevin
Kevin
Nice one, Centurion...
Moi Watson

Well done to Robert for making these.very difficult pieces .
Kevin
Kevin
Great research and great reproductions.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Magister Militum Flavius Aetius post=347500 Wrote:Yeah I've heard that the way horses' bits worked back then was a little cruel. Of course though its like a sword or a gun - not a weapon until it's used as one. A choice of the rider to be cruel, not the bit.

Without getting too philosphocal, a sword or gun is intended to be used for violence, a bridle bit is not:

.“Lightness is not the bit; lightness is the outcome of an athletic development and a coordination of the horse physique allowing superior body control. Lightness involves the legs, the seat, the hands and above all, the brain.” Jean Luc Cornille

That's true, but still someone had to think "I'm going to intend to use this for violence." Until then a sword is just a hunk of metal and wood. Someone had to think "I want to be mean to this animal" is what I'm saying, the bit itself is not cruel no matter how it looks to our eyes. But that's getting too philosophical, isn't it?

With a bit you are right, there's a lot more coordination than just pulling the reins. I've never ridden a horse and even I know that. Props to Robert for making such wonderful pieces.
Man those Look Painful....... Id never use anything like that on my Horse....... Ever........... Its been some time i know but I kind of Hurt myself good..... Brused the Heck out of my Pelvus and Cracked my Tibia on my Right....... My new horse is rather Stuborn........... but Damn those Bits look Very Very Painful........
Victor Lawrence
Quote:Man those Look Painful....... Id never use anything like that on my Horse....... Ever........... Its been some time i know but I kind of Hurt myself good..... Brused the Heck out of my Pelvus and Cracked my Tibia on my Right....... My new horse is rather Stuborn........... but Damn those Bits look Very Very Painful........

Victor - it is not necessarily the bit that it severe, it is the hand on the end of the rein. If you compare these bits to the modern world there are many direct comparisons in reining, polo and even showjumping when accuracy and instant obedience is required (just like a cavalry horse, although less of the showjumping!!)

Some of them are certainly for driving which is a completely different hand/mouth relationship.
Moi Watson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman horse bits LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 9 3,207 12-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Vindex