Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does polyester has any harsh effects?
Does polyester has any harsh effects as being uncomfortable in use?
(05-13-2016, 07:58 AM)nagpal thread factory Wrote: Does polyester has any harsh effects as being uncomfortable in use?

I expect that most here would not use polyester regardless of whether it was comfortable or not, as its not a historical material for Roman clothing... linen(flax) or Cotton would be more appropriate...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Depends. If you are a stitch nazi, it'll burn your skin. If you're a farb, it will nicely help channel away the sweat it makes you break. There is no in between. Big Grin
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
What I've always heard is that since polyester fibers are less porous than natural ones, they don't "breathe" or wick sweat away from the skin, which makes polyester clothing hot and sweaty in warm weather.

I've also heard of claims of "porous polyester" that does breathe like natural fiber, but I have no experience with it.

If you're planning on making reenactment clothing, I agree with Ivor. Reenactment groups and events generally require that participants wear only fabrics which are accurate for their time period, so polyester isn't acceptable for any pre-20th-century reenactments. It's arguably okay for historically-inspired fantasy clothing -- but that isn't our area of focus.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
(05-13-2016, 11:12 AM)M. Val. Naso Wrote: Depends. If you are a stitch nazi, it'll burn your skin. If you're a farb, it will nicely help channel away the sweat it makes you break. There is no in between. Big Grin

I find it curious that the Vanilla reenactors have invented names for each other, a recent development I think... perhaps its something that fits together neatly with facebook accounts Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Vanilla as in I'm so sweet? Tongue

But totally depends. Would you consider an 80 or 90% wool totally inauthentic? I've seen many people use it in Hungary, even guys with high self-esteem, since most of the time a proper meter of 100% wool can cost 25-30 euros, which may not be much, but the Hungarian average net salary is below 500...
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
(05-26-2016, 03:24 PM)M. Val. Naso Wrote: Vanilla as in I'm so sweet? Tongue

But totally depends. Would you consider an 80 or 90% wool totally inauthentic? I've seen many people use it in Hungary, even guys with high self-esteem, since most of the time a proper meter of 100% wool can cost 25-30 euros, which may not be much, but the Hungarian average net salary is below 500...

As in ordinary.... Big Grin

As to cloth thats up to you and your group rules if you have any, my main reason for not using artificial fibres other then the practical and accuracy reasons for clothing is the fire risk... 
Any cloth not made from 100% natural fibres would of course not be accurate but then you'd also have to consider:
Weave, Colour and the dye method, Machine verses hand weaving and spinning, stitching etc...
Most will stop at wool etc in a reasonable colour so you might say thats the bench mark, its clear though that when you consider everything that not many reinactors are going to be walking around in authentic clothing, the best you can expect is they look like their walking around in authentic clothing... which is fair enough.
The cost thing has been around since reenactment began... My advice would be get the best natural cloth you can afford in a reasonable weave and colour thats fit for purpose and hand stitch it together....
Ivor

thanks for the reply.
Ritika Sharma
I would say a 70/30 wool/polyester mix is indistinguishable from all wool and will wear and wash far better than all wool.
Andy Ross

"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference"