Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duel between Roman and Gaul
Livy wrote in his history of "Rome and Italy", about a duel that took place between a Roman and a Gaul. The Roman (Titus Manlius) was armed with a "infantry shield" and a "Spanish sword". What type of shield was this? Argive..? Scutum..? I thought the Romans didn't start using the Spanish sword until the Punic wars. What other type of armour would the Romans have worn at this time (360 BC)?
Thanks,
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Quote:I thought the Romans didn't start using the Spanish sword until the Punic wars.
Romans equipped themselves at this time, so maybe he had a Spanish sword actually from Spain after paying handsomely for it? Or, perhaps Livy was transplanting something from his period onto Manlius?

As for the infantry shield, Caesar would take a shield from an infantryman when getting into the fray himself, so why not Manlius?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Armour would depend on status, as far as I know. The lowest class was not armoured at all; more likely any man of status would have had at least a pectoral plate, if the man was of high class a breastplate would be reasonable.
Felix Wang