RomanArmyTalk
New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria (/showthread.php?tid=4598)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Re: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - Medicus matt - 11-24-2008

Quote:It's a real ugly brute isn't it?!

laudes for the pics Matt

Ta! Big Grin

You think? I love it and I'm going to make one for next season. You 'early Imperial' types...you just don't like change do you? :wink:

Re: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - Peroni - 11-24-2008

Oh! I have Late Roman kit too! :wink:

(it's still ugly! Tongue )

Re: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - martijn.wijnhoven - 11-24-2008

Quote:Here's the photobucket link to the pics of the Biberwier/Fernpass...

[url:11qw8h6c]http://s418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/medicusmatt/[/url]

Thank you.

It looks like some type of vervelles (similar to those found in 14th century bascinets) is used at the back of the helmet to affix the mail curtain. Interesting.

Regards,

Martijn

Re: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - Caballo - 11-24-2008

I still think its all feels a bit dodgy...the extraordinary state of preservation- the raising from one piece and then the bizarre random brow band decoration plus the odd cheek guards....

I'd love to be proved wrong though...... :roll:

Re: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - Robert Vermaat - 11-24-2008

Quote:I still think its all feels a bit dodgy...the extraordinary state of preservation- the raising from one piece and then the bizarre random brow band decoration plus the odd cheek guards....

Me too! Those cheak plates make me think of 'Lobstertail helmets'...

If you'd remove the brow guard, how 'Roman' would this one seem?
[Image: lobstertail_1.jpg]

Re: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - markusaurelius - 11-25-2008

What strikes me as odd is the wideness of the brow band. How the heck would this helmet sit on your head. The nasal piece would be down by your chin!?

And the "damaged" areas almost appear to have been "cut" out and not simply corroded away....

Could someone at one point have modified an original Roman helmet?

Re: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - Medicus matt - 11-25-2008

Quote:If you'd remove the brow guard, how 'Roman' would this one seem?
[Image: lobstertail_1.jpg]

Roman enough to be used by Ridley Scott for legionary helmets in 'Gladiator'. :wink:

Re: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - Medicus matt - 11-25-2008

Quote:What strikes me as odd is the wideness of the brow band. How the heck would this helmet sit on your head. The nasal piece would be down by your chin!?

Perhaps it was made for someone with a very elongated head.....skull binding! So THAT narrows it down a bit. :wink:

Re: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - Peroni - 11-25-2008

Padding and lots of it!

The Burgh Castle type needs quite a bit of padding too!

Re: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - Caballo - 11-25-2008

I find my furry Pannonian cap works brilliantly in my Burgh helmet!

Re: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - Simplex - 11-25-2008

Sorry for bein' slightly OT, folks ...........but, Robert and Medicus Matt,
...........did you ever watch the movies "Gladiator" and "Cromwell" in a row ??
I did and, well, as far as my eyes tell me ......
....some may call it "Recycling", :wink: some may call it "form follows funtion". Smile
( I had suspected they also "recycled" the location of the opening (AFAIR) scene of "Fall Of The Roman Empire" earlier on, but I was wrong here.)

Greez

Simplex

....well and didn't they use spurs, stirrups and all this stuff ....... :lol:

Re: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - Robert Vermaat - 11-27-2008

Quote:377 photos taken before my camera's battery gave up.
Did you take pictures of anything else besides the Bieberwier helmet?

Re: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-27-2008

Just a point on the accuracy aspect, if I can. This looks like a metal version of the Alligator/crocidile armour and helmet from Egypt in the BM.

Or perhaps I am being a bit liberal with my memory. I'll have to check the pics when I get home....

Re: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - Medicus matt - 11-28-2008

Quote:Or perhaps I am being a bit liberal with my memory. I'll have to check the pics when I get home....

Ermmmm... a little bit liberal, yeah.....

Crocodile armour

Re: New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria - Medicus matt - 11-28-2008

Quote:Did you take pictures of anything else besides the Bieberwier helmet?

Oh yeah.

Everything in the Germanic bit of the RGMZ (even though a lot of them are reproductions, it's still a staggering photo-op), lots of pics in the Shipmuseum, lots of pics in the Isis Temple under the shopping arcade, pics of the Dom, pics of the aqueduct piers, pics of the Drusus monument, the graveyard in Mainz-Weisenau and the theatre.

But I'm a lazy beggar so I haven't gotten around to putting them up yet.