RomanArmyTalk
Roman ghost spotted at Wakefield - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Roman ghost spotted at Wakefield (/showthread.php?tid=11769)

Pages: 1 2

Roman ghost spotted at Wakefield - Memmia - 02-13-2008

Just spotted this in the 'most read' catagory

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7029051.stm

[Image: _44157733_ghost203.jpg]

'Soldier ghost' caught on camera

Quote:A group of amateur film-makers believe they may have proof that ghosts really do exist after one of them caught something strange on camera.
George Gunn said he captured pictures of a ghostly apparition while out walking along a footpath in Outwood, near Wakefield, West Yorkshire.

Mr Gunn, a member of Outwood Community Video Club, said he thought the figure looked like that of a Roman soldier.

He said he had heard tales of ghosts being seen in the area.

But he added: "I still don't believe in them."

'Something peculiar'

The apparition appears to be still in the footage, but fades momentarily as two people jog through it..........

OK, own up....which one of you guys 'oop North' has been messing about with luminous paint and a smoke machine :wink:

If he is real, someone should do a seance up there and ask him to solve the tunic colour debate once and for all!

Re: Roman ghost spotted at Wakefield - MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 02-13-2008

lol damnit! I was 10 minutes late lol...

Haha, yeah, that would be a brilliant idea.

Re: Roman ghost spotted at Wakefield - Senovara - 02-13-2008

Ha! ghosts wouldn't allow themselves to be caught on film, especially a roman! :lol: :lol:

Yeah ... so which joker did this?? C'mon, own up!

Re: Roman ghost spotted at Wakefield - Iagoba - 02-13-2008

C´mon, I´m sure here someone will recognize the equipment of the ghost :wink:

New discussion:

-Are roman ghosts a reliable source for the study of History?
By Dr. Malcolm Crowe, expert with broad experience in that field. :lol:

Re: Roman ghost spotted at Wakefield - Robert Vermaat - 02-13-2008

Quote:[Image: _44157733_ghost203.jpg]

Fake police!!!! Big Grin

He should be walking on a 'lower level' like the ghosts of that York basement! :lol:

Re: Roman ghost spotted at Wakefield - Libitina - 02-13-2008

Quote:He should be walking on a 'lower level' like the ghosts of that York basement! :lol:

That really creeped me out Robert! Such a spooky mental image Confusedhock:

No idea how they've made out that it looks like a Roman. Just looks like cigarette smoke to me. I had a wierd thing happen when I worked in an old hotel, some guy wanted to include it in a book he was writing. Didn't want people thinking I was a nutter though Big Grin

There was a picture of a UFO in the paper today too but can't find that online anywhere.

Re: Roman ghost spotted at Wakefield - Memmia - 02-13-2008

Quote:He should be walking on a 'lower level' like the ghosts of that York basement! :lol:

Quote:[That really creeped me out Robert! Such a spooky mental image Confusedhock:

I know..imagine, an entire cohort getting a good view up your skirt/ trouserleg as they marched underneath! WAHAY! :oops:
I'm wearing bicycle clips next time I'm in York

Re: Roman ghost spotted at Wakefield - Senovara - 02-13-2008

:lol: :lol:

Re: Roman ghost spotted at Wakefield - Libitina - 02-13-2008

Quote:
Vortigern Studies:3rqt6dbw Wrote:He should be walking on a 'lower level' like the ghosts of that York basement! :lol:

Quote:[That really creeped me out Robert! Such a spooky mental image Confusedhock:

I know..imagine, an entire cohort getting a good view up your skirt/ trouserleg as they marched underneath! WAHAY! :oops:
I'm wearing bicycle clips next time I'm in York

Thanks for the heads up. I'll pack some in my overnight bag Big Grin

Re: Roman ghost spotted at Wakefield - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-14-2008

Apparently they were seen marching through the celler of the pub, only visible from the calves up. When they excavated they found the roman road under the floor. Freeeeeeeeaaaaaky man freaky! :lol:

I'm heading down to Eboracum tomorrow, anyone know where Barley Hall is?

Never Mind, found it, it should be no problem.... :roll:

tunics - Graham Sumner - 02-14-2008

Quote:imagine, an entire cohort getting a good view up your skirt

The ladies of the 'Sealed Knot' (English Civil War) used to throw themselves on to the floor whenever the Ermine Street Guard marched past at the multi period events at Kirby Hall, so they could look up the tunics!

Hard to tell from the photograph but the 'ghost' appears to be wearing a doublet, hose and a ruff to me. So obviously the media idea of Roman costume

Graham.

That's what it looks like to me too! :?

Re: tunics - Matt Lukes - 02-14-2008

Quote:Hard to tell from the photograph but the 'ghost' appears to be wearing a doublet, hose and a ruff to me.

I was going to say the same thing- looks very Shakespearian to me...

Re: Roman ghost spotted at Wakefield - M. Demetrius - 02-14-2008

Yeah, but what color is his tunic? :wink: Maybe he's a Roman spy caught in a time warp? Under orders from Dr. Frankenfurter?