Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman ghost spotted at Wakefield
Just spotted this in the 'most read' catagory

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7029051.stm

[Image: _44157733_ghost203.jpg]

'Soldier ghost' caught on camera

Quote:A group of amateur film-makers believe they may have proof that ghosts really do exist after one of them caught something strange on camera.
George Gunn said he captured pictures of a ghostly apparition while out walking along a footpath in Outwood, near Wakefield, West Yorkshire.

Mr Gunn, a member of Outwood Community Video Club, said he thought the figure looked like that of a Roman soldier.

He said he had heard tales of ghosts being seen in the area.

But he added: "I still don't believe in them."

'Something peculiar'

The apparition appears to be still in the footage, but fades momentarily as two people jog through it..........

OK, own up....which one of you guys 'oop North' has been messing about with luminous paint and a smoke machine :wink:

If he is real, someone should do a seance up there and ask him to solve the tunic colour debate once and for all!
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
lol damnit! I was 10 minutes late lol...

Haha, yeah, that would be a brilliant idea.
Ha! ghosts wouldn't allow themselves to be caught on film, especially a roman! :lol: :lol:

Yeah ... so which joker did this?? C'mon, own up!
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
C´mon, I´m sure here someone will recognize the equipment of the ghost :wink:

New discussion:

-Are roman ghosts a reliable source for the study of History?
By Dr. Malcolm Crowe, expert with broad experience in that field. :lol:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Quote:[Image: _44157733_ghost203.jpg]

Fake police!!!! Big Grin

He should be walking on a 'lower level' like the ghosts of that York basement! :lol:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:He should be walking on a 'lower level' like the ghosts of that York basement! :lol:

That really creeped me out Robert! Such a spooky mental image Confusedhock:

No idea how they've made out that it looks like a Roman. Just looks like cigarette smoke to me. I had a wierd thing happen when I worked in an old hotel, some guy wanted to include it in a book he was writing. Didn't want people thinking I was a nutter though Big Grin

There was a picture of a UFO in the paper today too but can't find that online anywhere.
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Quote:He should be walking on a 'lower level' like the ghosts of that York basement! :lol:

Quote:[That really creeped me out Robert! Such a spooky mental image Confusedhock:

I know..imagine, an entire cohort getting a good view up your skirt/ trouserleg as they marched underneath! WAHAY! :oops:
I'm wearing bicycle clips next time I'm in York
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
:lol: :lol:
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:3rqt6dbw Wrote:He should be walking on a 'lower level' like the ghosts of that York basement! :lol:

Quote:[That really creeped me out Robert! Such a spooky mental image Confusedhock:

I know..imagine, an entire cohort getting a good view up your skirt/ trouserleg as they marched underneath! WAHAY! :oops:
I'm wearing bicycle clips next time I'm in York

Thanks for the heads up. I'll pack some in my overnight bag Big Grin
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Apparently they were seen marching through the celler of the pub, only visible from the calves up. When they excavated they found the roman road under the floor. Freeeeeeeeaaaaaky man freaky! :lol:

I'm heading down to Eboracum tomorrow, anyone know where Barley Hall is?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Never Mind, found it, it should be no problem.... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:imagine, an entire cohort getting a good view up your skirt

The ladies of the 'Sealed Knot' (English Civil War) used to throw themselves on to the floor whenever the Ermine Street Guard marched past at the multi period events at Kirby Hall, so they could look up the tunics!

Hard to tell from the photograph but the 'ghost' appears to be wearing a doublet, hose and a ruff to me. So obviously the media idea of Roman costume

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
That's what it looks like to me too! :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Hard to tell from the photograph but the 'ghost' appears to be wearing a doublet, hose and a ruff to me.

I was going to say the same thing- looks very Shakespearian to me...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Yeah, but what color is his tunic? :wink: Maybe he's a Roman spy caught in a time warp? Under orders from Dr. Frankenfurter?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Michael Jackson spotted! Robert Vermaat 11 3,601 08-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  ghost of roman soldier haunts hospital Jeroen Pelgrom 4 1,467 01-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Narukami
  Wow! I spotted an error in the Neue Pauly!! Jona Lendering 5 1,643 12-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat