RomanArmyTalk
Glueing a Linothorax - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Glueing a Linothorax (/showthread.php?tid=12329)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Re: Glueing a Linothorax - Chris B - 07-10-2008

Figured I would post my first pics of my linothorax. It is still far from being finished. Here is the body ready for scales. I will scale the entire area between the red checkered and key trim. Once I am finished with the scales, I will add another greek trim just below the throat and place trim on the edges in black. I want to size it to make sure I do not need to trim the neck before triming the top.

The Yoke is also ready for paint and trim, but I will wait until the body is completely done to size it in case I need to trim it some. Anyways, I have glued and stitched all trim on the lino. It should be plenty tough.

[Image: 001a.jpg]

[Image: 002a-1.jpg]

Re: Glueing a Linothorax - Demetrios - 07-10-2008

I bought these Deepeeka scales to cover the front part of my lino.
To me, they gave satisfaction.
Just one point : they were of different thickness (mixed from origin or later ?) which I did nt realise at first.
My picture is'nt of good quality but you can see more or less the surface covered, just the front.
I purchased +/- 500 scales because I intended to cover allmost the whole lino, but while "scaling" I found it a bit exaggerated so I only covered the belly part. I used for that only +/- 250 pieces allthough I am tall and strong.
I will try to post a correct picture in the "show your greek warrior impression ASAP.

Re: Glueing a Linothorax - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-10-2008

Nice work gents, I am jealous! 8)

Quote:I bought these Deepeeka scales to cover the front part of my lino.
To me, they gave satisfaction.
Just one point : they were of different thickness (mixed from origin or later ?) which I did nt realise at first.
My picture is'nt of good quality but you can see more or less the surface covered, just the front.
I purchased +/- 500 scales because I intended to cover allmost the whole lino, but while "scaling" I found it a bit exaggerated so I only covered the belly part. I used for that only +/- 250 pieces allthough I am tall and strong.
I will try to post a correct picture in the "show your greek warrior impression ASAP.

That is the exact idea I have in my mind as far as coverage. It looks really nice to me that way. I am trying one last ditch effort to buy premade scales, but am resolved to start making them tonight if I cannot find anyone who has them in stock. I want to have this lino done in two to three weeks.

Is your top trim a checkered pattern too? It is hard to see in the avatar. It looks almost exactly like what I had in mind. I am going to paint a scorpion on both sides of the yoke's front and a single pattern like Giannis has on the back center.

I am making mine to go with my new Aspis. Of course I made a new black chiton to go under the lino, and I bought a new Chalcidian helmet that now needs a liner and high crest. Then the lino, aspis, helmet, and chiton need a xiphos. Then they all need another set of greaves. It is a never ending cycle it seems! :roll:

Re: Glueing a Linothorax - Demetrios - 07-10-2008

Here is the avatar picture in normal dimension
The trim is not checkered, it is a plain leather stripe.
In fact I started with a attached brass ornament on it more or less chess like ou greek meander but it was too stiff and broke into pieces after a while so I removed it and left the red stripe which I intend one day to cut a bit shorter.
As you say, it is never finished...

Quote:Here is the avatar picture in normal dimension
The trim is not checkered, it is a plain leather stripe.
In fact I started with a attached brass ornament on it more or less chess like ou greek meander but it was too stiff and broke into pieces after a while so I removed it and left the red stripe which I intend one day to cut a bit shorter.
As you say, it is never finished...

Oh, I see it now. It is a very nice lino. I like its overall look.

Re: Glueing a Linothorax - Giannis K. Hoplite - 07-10-2008

Well done,Chris.It looks very nice so far. I really like the pteryges. I'm thinking,shouldn't you add the checker pattern over the first row of plates?How are you going to deal with this?
I also noticed you made it one piece,not in four separate ones. How long are the back row of pteryges?
Khaire
Giannis

The back row of pteryges are 7 1/2" long and the front row is 5 1/2" long. It is 14 layers. Basically, I made the first 7 layers with the bottom pteryges and then the next 7 layers with the top pteryges. Then I glued them together and stitched the edges. It is your basic pattern without separating the top 7 layers into panels. They fall where they should on me and I can sit in it without the back pteryged touching the chair.

I haven't decided how I am going to handle the top row of scales. I may just sew a thin black piece of trim over the top edge. Simpler yet thinking right now, I may just take the black bias tape and fold it over each scale as I go, stitching through the linen bias tape through the holes in the scale. The problem with the checkers is that I had to stitch from red square to red square so that the thread wouldn't be seen which meant stitching diagonally which wouldn't work to pin the scales. Every single red square you see has a thread running through it to make three rows of zig-zag stitching.

Re: Glueing a Linothorax - Chris B - 07-18-2008

I am hoping to finish my linothorax in the next few days. I only have one final row for the scales and then I will do the final trim and painting. I made approximately 450 scales in total to cover the area completely.

I have one question though. Where do you sew the yoke on to the body? Specifically, where is the stitch placed? Is it along the red line edge of the yoke, the blue, or both? I want to see how most of yours are in case it affects the way it looks when worn. I am thinking of sewing along both at this point but am concerned it may cause the yoke to look wrong when worn. Thanks.

[Image: Shoulders001.jpg]

Re: Glueing a Linothorax - Giannis K. Hoplite - 07-18-2008

Most re-enactors sew it only in the red line. Some few sew it around the back decoration for more safety. Certainly not in the blue lines. These should be "in the air" when the tube bents. There is no clear depiction of stitching in sculpture or pottery but the fact that some times the place along the red line is decorated has been interpreted by some as stitching cover. No proof for this but it's a theory. I just glued my yoke,but if i were to stitch it,I would do it along the red line only.
Khaire
Giannis

So, I am assuming you only glue it from the red line up without getting glue past the center section so the edges hang free when the body takes form. Is that right? I really do not want to screw it up after all this work.

Right. What i did is put glue over the back part of the thorax that was covered by the yoke. To give you an indication, i made the back part the same as the front that covers the chest. This resulted in what you described, glue from the red line and for this width till a bit over the center of the decoration.
Khaire
Giannis

Also a small detail that isn't visible to the eye is that the back of the yoke is increasingly getting wider, just with a smaller angle than the shoulder guards. Usually it seems like a square,but it's in fact slightly wider in the base of the shoulder guards. I hope i didn't remember to say this too late :?
Khaire
Giannis

The yoke is already cut out, but I haven't edged it yet as I am waiting to finish the scales in the next 24 hours so that I can take final measurements before I edge it. You did not mention that last small detail before, but I literally cropped a photo of your lino, blew up the yoke section of the photo, and printed it to size as a template. Hopefully it will look right now since it has the same geometry as yours. Thanks.

That's ok, but there is the possibility that the photo was not taken 90 degrees angle from the top...this may have caused your shoulder flaps to be a bit shorter and narrower in comparison with the back part. But i suppose you've cut and measured it better on your body so it'll look ok. This may also have been a reason why this angle i mentioned in the previous post is not obvious from the photo you have.
Khaire
Giannis