RomanArmyTalk
The last film you watched.... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: The last film you watched.... (/showthread.php?tid=13172)

Re: The last film you watched.... - Dutchhoplite - 03-31-2009

- Dead Snow (or better: Død snø), Norwegian horrror with nazi-zombies (yes, zombies again 8) )

- A documentary about the nazi-planned holiday resort "Prora" on the island of Rugen.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 04-01-2009

Milk. It's up to others to judge the movie's political message, but I got the impression that the script presented Harvey Milk as a nice, round character (a hero, certainly, but his vanity came out well). And Sean Penn played him brilliantly.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 04-03-2009

At the cinema: Monsters Vs. Aliens

An amusing little film but certainly not as clever as their effort from last year (Kung Fu Panda) and nowhere near as inventive or groundbreaking at the best from Pixar (Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Toy Story)

Saw it in 2D so can not comment on the 3D but I remain unconvinced on the story telling merits of 3D.

Would Casablanca or Chinatown or Spartacus really be more meaningful in 3D?

Did see one trailer that looked interesting -- a new Tim Burton film called "9" Looks like another post apocalyptic quest film set in a post WWI time frame (or perhaps Victorian High Tech ?). The wasted countryside is full of trenches and WWI era tanks.

Hard to say if it will be a good film, but given that it is Tim Burton it is bound to be visually entertaining if nothing else.

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jeroen Pelgrom - 04-08-2009

another oldies for me: Destination moon (1950) and Invaders from Mars (1953). Very cool movies.

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 04-08-2009

Plan Nine from Outer Space?
Lobster Men from Mars?

What's happened to all the good sci-fi? :roll:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jeroen Pelgrom - 04-08-2009

Plan Nine from Outer Space - another good one! Lobster men from Mars is to new for me.

Scifi-movies from the 50's are the best.

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 04-08-2009

Well, let me warn you that the Lobster Men costumes are not that stunning. Look like something off a seafood restaurant commercial...complete with a human face in the cut-out hole. Honest. Sort of like Buck Rogers weekly serial short films, only longer.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 04-19-2009

Slumdog Millionaire. I was especially impressed by the children. And by Freida Pinto of course, for whom I would also gladly wait a lifetime. :wink:

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 04-19-2009

Quote:And by Freida Pinto of course, for whom I would also gladly wait a lifetime
...and that might very well be how that story line plays out, eh? :wink: :lol:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jona Lendering - 04-20-2009

Quote:
Quote:And by Freida Pinto of course, for whom I would also gladly wait a lifetime
...and that might very well be how that story line plays out, eh? :wink: :lol:
I hope my remark was sufficiently ambiguous not to betray how the movie ends. :roll:

Re: The last film you watched.... - Narukami - 04-20-2009

At the Cinema: Duplicity

This is from the same writer / director who gave us Michael Clayton last year (which I liked very much) and who wrote the Bourne films before that (which I also enjoyed).

Although the acting is good and the writing smart, I was disappointed in this one -- it left me unsatisfied. Indeed it felt as if they were setting us up for a sequel.

The two main characters are very engaging and as I said there is some very smart writing here, but...

Perhaps it is just me. :?

Now the trailer for the new Star Trek film looked like fun -- perhaps I am betraying my plebeian tastes. :oops:

:wink:

Narukami

Re: The last film you watched.... - M. Demetrius - 04-20-2009

Quote:I hope my remark was sufficiently ambiguous not to betray how the movie ends.
No, forgive my miscommunication. I was thinking that it would be MY whole life, were I to wait for the beautiful movie star to even glance my way....

Re: The last film you watched.... - caiusbeerquitius - 04-20-2009

Gene Generation. Nice for all those who are into Shadowrun or end-time Animes.

Plus, I was able to see the Dr. Who Easter Special, which I really liked. A pitz that there is no whole new season of Dr. Who. So I have to wait for Torchwood season II, now. Smile

Re: The last film you watched.... - Robert Vermaat - 04-20-2009

Once upon a time in the Midlands. I like UK movies very much, usually they come with a good mix of drama and homour. Why is the best British drama almost always about the working class?

I especially like Shirley Henderson. She can play Shakespearean and comical roles and everything inbetween. She played a convicing Catherine of Braganza in Charles II - the Power and the Passion, but she was also in Bridget Jones' Diary. Those who like Harry Potter may remember her as Moaning Myrtle.

Re: The last film you watched.... - Jeroen Pelgrom - 04-22-2009

King Kong, the original 1933 version. Excellent movie.