RomanArmyTalk
90mm Greek Figures - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Gaming & Modelling (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: 90mm Greek Figures (/showthread.php?tid=20468)

Pages: 1 2

90mm Greek Figures - katsika - 03-09-2012

From time to time I paint these little toy soldiers - sometimes I do it for clients - sometimes I do it for me. Here are a couple of my figures. I have recently ordered another hoplite from Greece (eBay) and will post the results after I finish. :wink:

Re: 90mm Greek Figures - Scipio_Africanus - 03-09-2012

Your models are great Wink
Don't know if i'm right but i like the Thessalian one, the colours you choose and the attitude are excellent !

Look forward to see more of your painting productions.

Thank you to share it

Re: 90mm Greek Figures - katsika - 03-09-2012

Thanks. I really need a lot of magnification help while doing these - and very small brushes!! The latest hasn't arrived yet, but I'll start painting it the minute it does.

Re: 90mm Greek Figures - Scipio_Africanus - 03-09-2012

Yes, this is a real passion when you start working on it, i know what you have in mind when you said : "I'll start painting it the minute it does."
We really begin to be obsessional when the models arrive !

I don't use magnification help when i do some 90mm, but for other sizes, i agree with you, it's needed.

If you have some other pictures about your work, i will be happy to see it.
I have posted my work on RAT concerning the 90mm on the greek figures, it would be nice to have your opinion about it Wink

Re: 90mm Greek Figures - katsika - 03-09-2012

Yes, the Daemon must arrive, else the effort is futile! I'd love to see your stuff, but since I am a ciber-retard, could you tell me the specific location on RAT that I could find your work? :wink:

The real need for magnification for me concerns things such as material embellishments (edgings, etc.) and facial detailing.

Years ago, I did a bunch of the war gaming-sized figures (20mm???) - most are Greeks and Egyptians. I did an Egyptian chariot I am very pleased with, as I had to fabricate 99% of the figure from total scratch. I'll try to get some photos of the little ones later.

Re: 90mm Greek Figures - Scipio_Africanus - 03-10-2012

Quote:Years ago, I did a bunch of the war gaming-sized figures (20mm???) - most are Greeks and Egyptians. I did an Egyptian chariot I am very pleased with, as I had to fabricate 99% of the figure from total scratch. I'll try to get some photos of the little ones later.

The work you did from scratch, is always a great thing, because of the technique that is require to do this, all sizes confused.
Yeah concerning the embellishments, i do agree it needs a really attention, and a lot of time Wink

The link concerning my work is : http://www.ancient-warfare.org/rat.html?func=view&catid=14&id=301569

I never start an army in the 20mm size and others, but i continue to work on other sizes : 75 mm and more... and always love to make the environments.
I'm pleased to speak with you about it on this forum.

Re: 90mm Greek Figures - katsika - 03-10-2012

Very nice Polemarch! Is that the Pegaso model? I have been contemplating doing that one myself. Your environs are very well executed! :!:

A few years back, I did a commissioned piece for a friend in Ft. Worth, TX, who actually entered it in a national miniatures competition in Florida. I was surprised to hear "we" won an honorable mention (my first attempt at such a thing). :grin:

I'm dusting the cobwebs off the little army pieces now, but I'll post pictures once I get them to cooperate. :roll:

OK! I finally dug out some of the little guys! I put a quarter next to them for scale. I painted these back in the '70s, so I wasn't really concerned back then about quality for gaming pieces.

The chariots and Egyptian-ish accoutrement (standards, quivers, etc.) were all scratch-built, as very little Egyptian stuff was even offered back then.

As you can see, one of the bearers was never finished. The Greek cavalry pieces were among the first pieces I ever painted.

Hehe, quite sympathetic to present those pieces Wink.
I like how you did the egyptians stuffs (ensign ...), as i said i never try to work on this size, and i still think that it wouldn't be easy to make it.

Quote:As you can see, one of the bearers was never finished. The Greek cavalry pieces were among the first pieces I ever painted.

I have conserved my first pieces i ever painted myself, and it's always good to see those, and remember from where we came.

Quote:I was surprised to hear "we" won an honorable mention (my first attempt at such a thing).

You received some good result at a competition ? Really good, and the pieces you present at the top of this topic are of qualities, and i think that you surely deserved it Wink

Quote:Very nice Polemarch! Is that the Pegaso model? I have been contemplating doing that one myself. Your environs are very well executed!

Thank you, you're right this is the pegaso model, and i have made from scratch the persian guy on the ground. Thank you, concerning the environment i think it's an important part of the scene, and try as more as possible to make something of quality.
It was a nice piece to work on it... i liked to paint it so much Wink
And like you i received some rewards at various competitions.

I figured the Persian was scratch, as I can't imagine one of the companies creating a figure in such a position, unless it was for a diorama. Very nice work indeed! What did you use to fabricate the wall? Also, do you know a decent source for flora, lichen and the like?

Concerning the wall i took some little stones that i found (original for a wall isn't it ? Smile). And i assembled it piece by piece, and try to make it the more "archaic" and accurate as possible. After that i painted it with some brown, green, beige and gray washing and painting.

Concerning the flora i used to take some part of my own garden. (when i was near the nature), like barks crumbled, the sand to create some materials. After that for the flora itself as a vegetable i try to used flocking in some little surfaces, and more plastic stalk when i have no choice.

I like collect anythings that i found interesting and keep them in small boxes in waiting to use them for a diorama... probably a weird habit !!

This is starting to sound like "true confessions of the model nerd-types"! :twisted: I do the same thing - I have the best "junk drawer" in the entire world - it has never failed to produce the very "thing" I need at the time. I have stuff that was collected over 45 years ago and is still awaiting the need.

Re: 90mm Greek Figures - Robert Vermaat - 03-10-2012

Read your PM's 'Katsika'.

Re: 90mm Greek Figures - katsika - 03-20-2012

Well, I got my new Pegaso 90mm hoplite in from Athens today. It took a bit of time to get here, as I hear there was a postal strike to resolve over there. I have, however, already "put quite a dent" in the work to paint and assemble it. I won't post any pictures yet, but I am encouraged by the results so far. I'll keep you posted! :wink:

Re: 90mm Greek Figures - Scipio_Africanus - 03-21-2012

Look forward to have some news about it, sooner as possible !
Good luck with this new model Wink